QLibrary fails to load or resolve, but WINAPI finds the modules

• Problem surfaced during conversion to Qt5.5 from Qt4.8.5. Using Visual Studio 2013. Application has been running since Qt ver 3. I have 5 DLLs that I present to users, and they will pick one at a time to use. On starting the main dialog, I must load the DLL files that have been copied into a 'plugins' folder that is a subfolder of where the program is installed. So, first I look for all the .dll files and attempt to load each, trying also to resolve several of the standard callbacks. Again, this worked fine for years in Qt4.1+. But now I must use this odd sequence of coding to make the Qt reolve() function find the callbacks:
    The lst variable contains the list of 5 dll files...

while ( it!=lst.end() ) 
              {
                gmv = 0; gmn = 0; gmt = 0;
                // QDir thisFile(QString("%1/%2").arg(dir.path()).arg((*it).baseName()));
                qDebug() << "Testing file " << QString("%1/%2").arg(dir.path()).arg((*it).baseName()).toLatin1();
                fLibrary.setFileName((*it).fileName());// QString("%1/%2").arg(dir.path()).arg((*it).baseName()));
                // fLibrary.load();
                gmv = (GET_MODULEVER)fLibrary.resolve((*it).fileName(), "GetModuleVer");
                gmn = (GET_MODULENAME)fLibrary.resolve((*it).fileName(), "GetModuleName");
                gmt = (GET_MODULETYPE)fLibrary.resolve((*it).fileName(), "GetModuleType");
                if (!fLibrary.isLoaded()){
                  qDebug() << "Error loading: " << fLibrary.errorString() << " trying WINAPI";
                  HMODULE hmod = LoadLibrary(QString("%1/%2").arg(dir.path()).arg((*it).fileName()).toLatin1());
                  if (hmod)
                  {
                    qDebug() << "loaded successfully with LoadLibraryEx";
                  }
                  else
                  {
                    DWORD errorMessageID = ::GetLastError();
                    if (errorMessageID)
                    {
                      LPSTR messageBuffer = nullptr;
                      size_t size = FormatMessageA(FORMAT_MESSAGE_ALLOCATE_BUFFER | FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM | FORMAT_MESSAGE_IGNORE_INSERTS,
                                                   NULL, errorMessageID, MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT), (LPSTR)&messageBuffer, 0, NULL);

std::string message(messageBuffer, size);

//Free the buffer.
                      LocalFree(messageBuffer);

qDebug() << "failed to load with LoadLibraryEx";
                      qDebug() << message.c_str();
                    }

}
                }
                gmv = (GET_MODULEVER)fLibrary.resolve((*it).fileName(), "GetModuleVer");
                gmn = (GET_MODULENAME)fLibrary.resolve((*it).fileName(), "GetModuleName");
                gmt = (GET_MODULETYPE)fLibrary.resolve((*it).fileName(), "GetModuleType");

The second round of fLibrary.resolve() succesfully finds the callbacks. I dont like this, because it uses the WinAPI to force the dll to be loaded. I would rather just use QLibrary.

Why is this happening in Qt5.5?

• Moderators

Does (*it).fileName() return an absolute path to the library?

• (*it).fileName() returns only the file name portion, with extension, e.g. BIPSOpCirc.dll. (*it).baseName() returns file name excluding path and extension, e.g BIPSOpCirc. Documentation suggest NOT using the file extension, to make things OS portable, though this program so far only runs in Windows. I have tried using both full path (the comment following the fLibrary.setfileName((*it).fileName()), fileName only and baseName only. They all behave the same, the first call to fLibrary.resolve gives null pointers, whereas the second, after the call to WinAPI to open the dll, gives a pointer to the callback.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.