Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Non-static data member warnings [SOLVED]

• hello,

I'm running into an abundant amount of non-static warnings for the way I'm setting up my layouts and buttons. The Project still works fine warnings and all.

class Calibration : public QObject
    {
        Q_OBJECT
    public:
        explicit Calibration(QObject *parent = 0);

public:
        QHBoxLayout *MainLayout = new QHBoxLayout;
        QTableWidget *table = new QTableWidget;
        QHBoxLayout *TableLayout = new QHBoxLayout;
        QVBoxLayout *buttonlayout= new QVBoxLayout;

QPushButton *CalPA = new QPushButton("Save Cal");
        QPushButton *GetPA = new QPushButton("Get Cal");
        QPushButton *SaveFile = new QPushButton("Save to File");
        QPushButton *GetFile = new QPushButton("Recall File");

private:
        QStringList m2_TableHeader;

signals:

public slots:

};

if I change everything to

QHBoxLayout *MainLayout;
        QTableWidget *table;
        QHBoxLayout *TableLayout;
        QVBoxLayout *buttonlayout;

QPushButton *CalPA;
        QPushButton *GetPA;
        QPushButton *SaveFile;
        QPushButton *GetFile ;

this makes the warnings go away but the program crashes. I know the issue is I'm declaring them publicly but I need to use them in a separate class so I don't think I can do so while declaring them privately. Should I be concerned, what should I change to fix this?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

That's because you're trying to do in-class initialization without C++11 activated. Since you don't seem to use C++11 you must move them in the constructor.

• If I move them in the constructor they become static and I can't use them in my other class. The issue with that is I declare the buttons public in the header and then lay them out and show them In a separate class constructor(to make the code a little more readable). Would it be in bad taste just to leave it the way it is even if it works? Do you know of a solution where I can declare them in one constructor and use them in a completely different constructor?

• I solved my issue. Here is the Code:

.h file

public:

QVBoxLayout *buttonlayout;
        QPushButton *CalPA;
        QPushButton *GetPA;
        QPushButton *SaveFile;
        QPushButton *GetFile;

.ccp file

buttonlayout= new QVBoxLayout;
        CalPA = new QPushButton("Save Cal");
        GetPA = new QPushButton("Get Cal");
        SaveFile = new QPushButton("Save to File");
        GetFile = new QPushButton("Recall File");

Works, no warnings no crashes.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Something sounds fishy: why are you trying to access these members from other widgets ?

• What I actually wanted was to create and populate a tab in a UI in a separate class. then connect those buttons and what not with code in the MainWindow class. But I actually decided to move most of the initialization back over to the Mainwindow, because of issues with it correctly updating information.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@koahnig double check your settings, the mailing option should be there to configure it.

• @SGaist
    Apparently landed in the wrong place.
    Anyway, I am typically simply checking stuff with the Alarm bell symbol in the top row.
    All mailings do not help at all, because for sure I am not checking those or only occassionally at most.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The notifications bell doesn't seem to always return the data corresponding to the number it shows