What's your next Qt Ambassador application?

• Hi ambassadors,
    After being a Qt ambassdor, what's your next Qt application? Let's start the topic, and see if others think alike with you, then we can discuss together.
    Let's say, Qt ambassdor not only focus on the technology, but also creative ideas.

I put the ideas list below, you can find the nice guys to discuss:

1. Home automation staff(light bulbs controlling for now) -- Milot Shala.
    2. Homeberry USB Radio -- lovewilliam
    3. CAD application -- john_god
    4. Study-aid application -- HuXiKa

• I started working on some home automation stuff; where main server (that controls light bulbs for now) is a MeeGo based Netbook, and I am planning to create three apps for three major platforms Symbian, Android and iOS, because at my home these three platforms are used extensively :)

• [quote author="Milot Shala" date="1305637574"]I started working on some home automation stuff; where main server (that controls light bulbs for now) is a MeeGo based Netbook, and I am planning to create three apps for three major platforms Symbian, Android and iOS, because at my home these three platforms are used extensively :)[/quote]

Sounds great, Milot. Can you tell me how you design. Do you know uPnP or DLNA, and how you connect server to the light bulbs,use bluetooth or wifi ? I just plan to work on RC cars controlling use Symbian phone, ww55va91(ARM) and OmniVision OV7725 to capture images.

• [quote author="Chuck.Gao" date="1305638645"][quote author="Milot Shala" date="1305637574"]I started working on some home automation stuff; where main server (that controls light bulbs for now) is a MeeGo based Netbook, and I am planning to create three apps for three major platforms Symbian, Android and iOS, because at my home these three platforms are used extensively :)[/quote]

Sounds great, Milot. Can you tell me how you design. Do you know uPnP or DLNA, and how you connect server to the light bulbs,use bluetooth or wifi ? I just plan to work on RC cars controlling use Symbian phone, ww55va91(ARM) and OmniVision OV7725 to capture images. [/quote]

Well this is how I am doing it:

I am using an "Arduino":http://arduino.cc/ board and I am connecting the Arduino board with the Linux machine and I am sending commands to Arduino boards via Serial using "libserial":http://libserial.sourceforge.net/index.html on the other part, the software that is on server is a TCP server which listens to TCP commands (the exact same thing that I've done on "Komedy and Komedy Remote":http://qt.nokia.com/qt-in-use/project?id=a0F20000002IzMsEAK "video":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGXreCvoLk) and I created a simple set of commands to do this, and also see the "video":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JttNpVsRq3M just instead of an LED I am sending 5v to a relay and transforming that in order I could control the light bulb, but testing is done using LEDs first :P

• To Milot: Clear. Looking forward to your app. And one suggestion, can you make it via wifi or 2.4G RF later? It's more useful to other home automation staff i think.

• [quote author="Chuck.Gao" date="1305639856"]To Milot: Clear. Looking forward to your app. And one suggestion, can you make it via wifi or 2.4G RF later? It's more useful to other home automation staff i think.

[/quote]

Well for now it'll work via wifi; Of course if I want to make it control over the Internet I will have a web server somewhere and make my app listen to that web server (download an XML every 2 minutes and compare if something has changed) :)

• [quote author="Milot Shala" date="1305639954"]
    Well for now it'll work via wifi; Of course if I want to make it control over the Internet I will have a web server somewhere and make my app listen to that web server (download an XML every 2 minutes and compare if something has changed) :)[/quote]

Hi Milot, can i put your app idea on the topic's ideas list? And others can find you if he/she interested in. And if over the web server, maybe use an ETag for comparation is more convenient. Anyway, wait for your good news.

• [quote author="Chuck.Gao" date="1305640390"]
    [quote author="Milot Shala" date="1305639954"]
    Well for now it'll work via wifi; Of course if I want to make it control over the Internet I will have a web server somewhere and make my app listen to that web server (download an XML every 2 minutes and compare if something has changed) :)[/quote]

Hi Milot, can i put your app idea on the topic's ideas list? And others can find you if he/she interested in. And if over the web server, maybe use an ETag for comparation is more convenient. Anyway, wait for your good news.

[/quote]

Of course you can; This is not originally my idea, there are plenty of people doing home automation, I could get a special home automation hardware, but thing is that I want to do it myself.

• Homeberry USB Radio All made by hands with a fancy front gui. :-D
    Very interesting i think,and i have made a hardware proto and software.
    And it now can run on varisous of Linux Distributions and Meego
    HAHA~! :D

• @lovewilliam lovewilliam: Sounds interesting:).So, what's makes the GUI, Qt or Qml? And what's meaning of "All made by hands"? I think it'll be nice if you can give us a link to show up your Homeberry :D

• @Chuck.Gao

Qt not Qml

Software and the hardware are build by yourself ,DIY somehow ~haha!:-D.

Using atmel mcu and tea5767 radio module in the hardware and Qt in the software.

my work is here : "http://www.bigstarstar.tk/home/lovewilliam/Develop/Radio/":http://www.bigstarstar.tk/home/lovewilliam/Develop/Radio/

you can make one yourself ,that's easy and funny:-D

• My next Qt app takes the sensor data from 20 friends phone (from different countries) and puts that up on Pachube. The sensors are : accelerometer, Magnetometer, light sensor, GPS. The idea is to create a way to know where they are , what is the weather (at least light or dark), which direction they are moving, whether they(or their phone) is upside down or not. Seriously, we will think up more useful application based on collected sensor data

• Hi rselva123, sounds great! And one question, the number of the friends, it will be over 20, or just 20 for max? In my opinion, it's a little bit more. Under 10 or 5 is more useful and acceptable i think :D

• [quote author="rselva123" date="1308452536"]My next Qt app takes the sensor data from 20 friends phone (from different countries) and puts that up on Pachube. The sensors are : accelerometer, Magnetometer, light sensor, GPS. The idea is to create a way to know where they are , what is the weather (at least light or dark), which direction they are moving, whether they(or their phone) is upside down or not. Seriously, we will think up more useful application based on collected sensor data[/quote]

How about call it Sensing SNS ? I'm not good at naming :D

• I'm developing a CAD application. It will have standard commands like Autocad, and also commands optimized for touch devices, mobiles and tablets. So far there isn't any good 3D Cad alternatives for linux. With Qt it will be multi plataform. It is still in a very early development stage.

• Moderators

That's quiet a challenge!

There is a free 2d cad available for windows and mac and linux. The last 2 are in beta stadium now.

Look for Draftsight on the internet. It has the 2d capabilities like autocad, but nothing 3d.

It's free to download, but not open source though.

• I'm developing a study-aid for the university I'm currently studying at. It's main goal was to help the students and the teachers with the macroeconomy class by solving and visualizing economical equations and equation systems (IS-LM model, keynessian cross, AS-AD curves, etc...). But I realized it could be easily expanded, so right now it can do the same thing, but not just for tha macro class, but for every class in general (which includes equations ofcourse :)). You can easily generate (with a little stand-alone program) an xml file, which includes your variables and equations and curves, and it can create the gui according to this file (every equation you decide will show up like "this":http://huxi.uw.hu/hidden/Qt/qtam.JPG ). You can choose to calculate the answers by the program, or you can use the power of WolframAlpha and let it do the work for you :). I'll finish it this summer, there are a few thing still missing, but it's almost complete. I'm really having fun developing it, and I think it's not that bad for my first C++ application :)

• Hi HuXiKa, you do really a good job :D

• [quote author="Chuck.Gao" date="1308537346"]Hi rselva123, sounds great! And one question, the number of the friends, it will be over 20, or just 20 for max? In my opinion, it's a little bit more. Under 10 or 5 is more useful and acceptable i think :D[/quote]
    Maximum 20. This is to ensure the world map lights up with sensor data! 5 will be too small. Also there will always be some feed even if a few members signals blip off.

• I currently have two different applications in mind.

The first will be a Remember the Milk app. If you are not familiar with it, Remember the Milk is a website that offers a place to put your "To Do" task lists.

The other app is not totally completely thought out yet. I only program in QML at the moment and love to show how powerful it is, so I would love to do some sort of Fireworks showcase/game that would use the QML Particle Element. That caught my eye and would love to see what could be done with it.

• Interesting shullw. I like the name of "Remember the Milk". And how about fireworks app? How about use particle and Box2D together :D ?

• I haven't even looked into Box2D. I will look into it and see what I think. Thanks for pointing me into something new and exciting.

• About my cad application code name "Lusitania":http://gitorious.org/lusitania/lusitania , I put it on gitorious. Soon I'll start working on a web site for it.

• Hi to all the members!

I am near to release the Qt-Complex 2.0 framework that will include the full working version for Harmattan, Symbian and desktop with the same code. Plus some new components and two QML elements (from C++ classes) to manage in a fast and simple way local files and web downloads of files and Json data including the RPC call as an alternative to the http get/post methods.

The actual Qt-Complex 1.1.0 for Harmattan is distributed on Ovi store and with about 300 downloads (sound strange to me too, if we consider that N9 is not yet a commercial device :) ) I have received a good critics/comment: the interface seems the "old" S60 graphic. it is only a demo application with a default theme, but the new version will manage its standard interface with elements that follows the new directives of harmattan Meego 1.2 specifications for N9, Symbian Anna and some other graphic enhancements.

The next application in queue is the "BlackCat Cutting Studio":http://projects.developer.nokia.com/blackcatcuttingstudio project that will be delivered for High-End mobile devices (N9, E7, N8), Qt on Android, IOS and Desktop.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.