Feedback about SDK 1.1 installer
I just installed the SDK 1.1 under Windows Vista 32 bit. I was very surprised how slow the installer was, even with virus scanner disabled.
After starting the offline installer it took more than 5 minutes, until the first dialog appeared. Then the progress bar was stuck at 1% for again about 5 minutes while the harddisk was busy all the time.
Im sure that the 1.0 installer was much quicker. Is that a technical problem on my laptop, or would you say "works as designed?".
Another issue: The installer starts installing a default selection of components without asking me what parts I want. So I first need to install almost everything and then can remove what I do not need. This is quite unusual.
For the second issue: I have done this several times by mistake - the installer asks you (at least it asks me) on its second screen: !http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7025/qtcreator.png(QtCreator installer)!
I've had similar problems (waiting for several minutes) with some of the previous versions but then it was fatal. If now everything is working, I would be happy if I was you :) How many minutes has lasted the installation process?
The installer is taking so much time to start because it's compressend, and at startup, it is decompresing himself in temp directory.
Qt SDK1.0 was almost 3 times smaller in size.
Also i don't see this to be a problem, because the installing is made only one time.
Oh, thanks. I must have overseen the "custom" option. I thought that option is related to the installation directory only.
Installation takes about 60 minutes on my notebook. The Linux version takes also more than 30 minutes in a virtual Linux machine, and after that it does not run properly. For example, it does not find the help files until I configure them manually and the Maintenance tool hangs when I try to uninstall a component.
The performance is much much better, when I run the installer with right mouse click as administrator (or sudo under Linux). This also fixed the functional faults that I noticed under Linux.
Maybe I did not encounter functional problems under windows because it was a clean fresh installation, while my virtual Linux machine is about 1 year old and had already the older 1.0 SDK installed and uninstalled previously.