[Solved] Sending C++ values to QML properties

• Hi,

I trying to change some QML properties from C++ in order to rotate one object but looks like it doesn't update or repaint. I followed this document:

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtqml-cppintegration-interactqmlfromcpp.html

...but once i change the property i debug it, the value is correct but the object didn't rotate. This is how i change the property and how i read it with the debug:

object->setProperty("canvas3d.xRotSlider", 90);
    qDebug() << "Property value:" << object->property("canvas3d.xRotSlider").toDouble();

Any suggestion?
    Thanks!

• My starting project was the barrel example, it includes js with qml, but instead to rotate the barrel with the sliders i would like to rotate with a given C++ variables values. But i had no success sending the values to the QML neither changing the angles on the js script... I expected something easy and common but is being impossible.

• The best way to interact between C++ and QML is to make a class that inherits QQuickItem and create Q_PROPERTY-es in it, then register it in your main (or somewhere else) and import it into QML. For example:

class TestIntegration : public QQuickItem 
    {
        Q_OBJECT

Q_PROPERTY(int testProperty READ testProperty WRITE setTestProperty NOTIFY testPropertyChanged)
    public:
        TestIntegration(QQuickItem*parent=0)
          : QQuickItem(parent)
          , m_testProperty(0)
        {}

int testProperty() const { return m_testProperty; }

public slots:
        void setTestProperty(int testProperty)
        {
            m_testProperty = testProperty;
            emit testPropertyChanged;
        }

signals:
        void testPropertyChanged(int testProperty);

protected:
        int m_testProperty;
    }

Note that the above code can be autogenerated by QtCreator. You just start Q_PROP and it autocompletes it to the entire Q_PROPERTY asking you to set the type and the name of the property. Then you can rightclick Q_PROPERTY and in refactor submenu generate all methods and the field.

After that you just register the class in your main

int main(int argc, char**argv)
    {
        qmlRegisterType<TestIntegration>("YourNamespace", 1, 0, "TestIntegration");
    }

and in QML you import it and make the object somewhere

import YourNamespace 1.0;

TestIntegration {
        id: testIntegration
    }

and use the property how ever you like

randomQmlProperty = testIntegration.testProperty

or

testIntegration.testProperty = whateverYouSetFromQml

• Cool!

I did what you explained and now i have a C++ class with some Q_PROPERTY's and some functions to modify them from C++. I did some tests to verify the connection between the QML and the new class. But now, as the instance of this class is on QML, How can i access it from C++ in order to change the properties?

• Finally i could. I create a function in the QML file to be called from the C++ application. This is mostly the same i tryied at the begining but instead modifying the property from a inherited C++ class i was trying to change the property from an instance created with JavaScript as the "barrel" example that comes with Qt5.5 (in this case the property is change with a slider). The difference is that now when i change the property the event is triggering and before not, i don't know the reason...

Thanks brcha for the help!

• Glad to be of assistance :)

I don't know what your project is like. For the most part, I use QML for UI and one (or more) similar integration classes for all the C++ code. Therefore, my main loop is in QML and it calls C++ through the integration class(es), just like I would in the widget-based Qt app call methods when a specific menu item was clicked or something similar. Thus my whole C++ part of the application is instantiated from QML, and it can have signals, slots, trees of new classes and everything else bellow the "main" C++ entry point object.

• In my case is opposite. I have a C++ project and now I want to display a 3D model rotating depending on the moving of some sensors. So as i never used QML before i integrated in my old form a Widget container with a QQuickView inside to show the model. I took some json models from the examples to make it working, and actually i have my own designed model in 3Dstudio and Solidworks to replace the sample, but i'm "googling" in order to make that step between, seems not trivial...

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.