Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Selecting a region from a QGraphicScene with QRubberBand

• Hello everyone,

I'm trying to select a region of an image in a QGraphicScene with QRubberBand. Following the documentation ( http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qrubberband.html ) I wrote this:

void MainWindow::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent *event)
    {
    	mypoint = event->pos();
    	mRubberBand = new QRubberBand(QRubberBand::Rectangle, ui->graphicsView);//new rectangle band

mRubberBand->setGeometry(QRect(mypoint, QSize()));
    	mRubberBand->show();
    }

void MainWindow::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent *event)
    {
    	if(mRubberBand)
    	{
    		mRubberBand->setGeometry(QRect(mypoint, event->pos()).normalized());//Area Bounding
    	}
    }

void MainWindow::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent *event)
    {
    	if(mRubberBand)
    	{
    		QRect myRect(mypoint, event->pos());
    		mRubberBand->hide();// hide on mouse Release
    		QImage copyImage;  //<= this Qimage hold nothing
    		mImageInRect = copyImage.copy(myRect);
    	}
    }

The problem is the code work ONLY if I start selecting out of the GraphicScene and then move, I can't click to the image and start selecting.

Someone could please explain me what's wrong? Thank you

• Moderators

You are overriding the mouse*Events in the MainWindow. If you want to detect a mouse press in a QGraphicsView then override mousePressEvent in QGraphicsView (by subclassing it).

Also, you modified the example and created a severe memory drain. You are creating new rubber band object on every mouse press and they will be deleted only when the parent graphics view is destroyed.

• Thank you! I had that doubt about it, but I wasn't sure there wasn't another method more direct than this

About the memory draining, I knew it, I already moved that part to the constructor, I pasted it there to show the all the operation was been done.