Main layouts missing

• Hello all,

I am a beginner at Qt. I am following the example at http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/designer-quick-start.html entitled "A Quick Start to Qt Designer." I can mostly complete the exercise, but I always have a broken main layout that does not allow the form to be resized correctly when previewed. About half way into it, the tutorial says, and I quote:

"Note: Main layouts cannot be seen on the form. To check if you have a main layout installed, try resizing your form; your widgets should resize accordingly. Alternatively, you can take a look at Qt Designer's Object Inspector. If your top level widget does not have a layout, you will see the broken layout icon next to it, "

I cannot for the life of me get a main layout, and I always get a broken layout icon in the Object Inspector. Can somebody please shine some daylight my way? Is there a way to add a main layout? The problem is that the tutorial is a little bit dated, and it says in the beginning "You start by choosing Widget from the New Form dialog." As far as I can tell, there is no New Form dialog, and I can't get the equivalent for Qt 5 to work.

• Moderators

Do a right-click on your main windget, go to "Lay out" submenu and choose the appropriate option (vertical, horizontal, form or grid layout). That's all.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.