Pure c++ application without console. How?

• Greetings.

I'm trying to create a plain c++ app. I chose New Project -> Plain C++ Project. My pro file looks like this:

TEMPLATE = app    
    CONFIG += console     
    CONFIG -= app_bundle
    CONFIG -= qt
    SOURCES += main.cpp

The source code:

#include <iostream>
    #include <windows.h>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
    {
        cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
        return 0;
    }

When I'm starting it - console window appears. I removed CONFIG += console line from the pro, and get an error:

MSVCRTD.lib(crtexew.obj):-1: error: LNK2019: unresolved external symbol WinMain referenced in function __tmainCRTStartup

I returned line back and went to Project -> Build & Run -> Run and cleared Run in terminal checkbox. Now I don't see a window (hurrah!) but also I don't see any output to Application Output.

• HI,

if you remove CONFIG += console qmake creates a Win32 application that not allows to write on the standard output.
    If you want to create a non Qt application, I suggest to switch to CMake

• But I'm using Non-Qt Project (Plain C++ Project) from the beginning.

• Moderators

That's strange. Clearing the "Run in terminal" checkbox works for me and the output is redirected to the Application Output pane. Which Qt Creator version are you using?

• Qt Creator 3.3.0.

• Hi nikitablack,

could you clarify what exactly your problem or question is?
    If you build a application without console and your entry point is a WinMain, you don´t get any output on standard streams. So the result is as expected, no output in Application Output.

• Moderators

Could you try the latest version (3.4.0) ?
    Also, do you start a debug session (the play button with a bug icon) or just run the app (the plain play button)? There seems to be a reported Creator bug where debug sessions don't redirect standard streams to the output.

• @nikitablack said:

But I'm using Non-Qt Project (Plain C++ Project) from the beginning.

Hi,
    as I said you have to use CONFIG += console if you need your application write on the standard output.

OFF TOPIC: I suggested to switch to a CMake based project because using a qmake based project you require to install Qt only to build your application even if your application itself doesn't require Qt

• @sneubert My entry point is main. And I want to have an output to Application Output, but not to console window.

@Chris-Kawa Installed 3.4.0 - the same problem. Yes, I start a debug session. And you're right - it seems like a bug - because running an app (Ctrl+R) redirects output.

@mcosta said:

as I said you have to use CONFIG += console if you need your application write on the standard output.

Yes, got it. Thanks.

• Ok, now I got it.
    This seems to be a bug. For projects build with msv2013 that are cmake based, without qt, I don´t get any output while debuggin. For the same build, without a debugger attached, the output is fine.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.