Mac OSX 10.10 - Compiling Qt 4.8.2

• Trying to do a 32 bit compile with Qt 4.8.2 on OSX 10.10.2. I am trying the following configuration and it seems to go through, however when I do a "make" it fails within a 20 seconds or so. Is this because I am using 10.10? I can put an older version (i.e. 10.7) on my test machine to get this compiled. Any suggestions how to get these libraries compiled?

I just need a bare-bones install as I am using this for PyQt while only using QtGui and QtCore.

./configure -release -no-webkit -no-qt3support -opensource -nomake examples -nomake tests -arch x86

warning "This version of Mac OS X is unsupported"

^

In file included from kernel/qcursor_mac.mm:42:
    In file included from ../../include/QtGui/private/qcursor_p.h:1:
    In file included from ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qcursor_p.h:59:
    In file included from ../../include/QtGui/qpixmap.h:1:
    In file included from ../../include/QtGui/../../src/gui/image/qpixmap.h:49:
    In file included from ../../include/QtCore/qsharedpointer.h:1:
    In file included from ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qsharedpointer.h:50:
    In file included from ../../include/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:1:
    ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qsharedpointer_impl.h:595:43: warning: field 'd' is uninitialized when used here [-Wuninitialized]
    inline QWeakPointer(X *ptr) : d(ptr ? d->getAndRef(ptr) : 0), value(ptr)
    ^
    In file included from kernel/qcursor_mac.mm:52:
    In file included from ../../include/QtGui/private/qt_cocoa_helpers_mac_p.h:1:
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_cocoa_helpers_mac_p.h:158:10: warning: extra qualification on member 'TabletProximityRec' [-Wextra-qualification]
    struct ::TabletProximityRec;
    ^
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_cocoa_helpers_mac_p.h:158:8: error: forward declaration of struct cannot have a nested name specifier
    struct ::TabletProximityRec;
    ^~
    ../../include/QtGui/private/../../../src/gui/kernel/qt_cocoa_helpers_mac_p.h:218:10: error: cannot initialize return object of type 'NSString *' with an rvalue of type 'const NSString *'
    { return [reinterpret_cast<const NSString *>(QCFString::toCFStringRef(qstr)) autorelease]; }
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /usr/include/objc/NSObject.h:38:1: note: instance method 'autorelease' is assumed to return an instance of its receiver type ('const NSString *')

• (instancetype)autorelease OBJC_ARC_UNAVAILABLE;
      ^
      In file included from kernel/qcursor_mac.mm:47:
      In file included from ../../include/QtGui/qevent.h:1:
      In file included from ../../include/QtGui/../../src/gui/kernel/qevent.h:52:
      In file included from ../../include/QtGui/qmime.h:1:
      ../../include/QtGui/../../src/gui/kernel/qmime.h:119:10: warning: private field 'type' is not used [-Wunused-private-field]
      char type;
      ^
      4 warnings and 2 errors generated.
      make[2]: *** [.obj/release-shared/qcursor_mac.o] Error 1
      make[1]: *** [release] Error 2
      make: *** [sub-gui-make_default-ordered] Error 2

Thanks!

• @pappaloo -sdk macosx10.7 -no-c++11
    Try this option. Hope will help

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

For the Qt 4 series, you'll need at least Qt 4.8.6 starting from OS X 10.9

• I build Qt4.8.6 on 10.10 with the latest Xcode and deploy back to 10.6. But I build the 64 bits, not 32 bits. Qt4.8.6 does need some patching to compile with a recent SDK and its QWidget UI does not look good on 10.10 (the usual misaligned text when there's a new OS X version, waiting for the final 4.8.7...).

Here's my steps:
    https://dootaini.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/building-qt-4-8-6-x64-on-os-x-10-10-with-xcode-6-x-so-that-it-works-on-os-x-10-6/

It should work the same with -arch x86 for a 32 bits build. If you really need 4.8.2, you will need to come up with your own patch file, still might gives you some inspiration.

@jalomic

For the Qt 4.x series it's "-sdk fullpath_to_sdk", like:

-sdk /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk

"-sdk macosx10.7" would be for Qt5. And if you are using a recent version of Xcode you are unlikely to have the 10.7 sdk.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.