How to get semicolon in a QLineEdit's validation input mask?

• Howdy folks,

I've got a QLineEdit that I'm using to represent a SMPTE timecode. For 24fps, 25fps and 30fps (non-drop frame) the timecode represented as a string would be "<hours>:<minutes>:<seconds>:<frames>". For example, "01:22:05:17". For 29.97fps (drop frame), a semicolon is typically used between the seconds and frames, for example: "03:17:21;12".

In my QLineEdit subclass I'm setting the validation input mask to "99:99:99:99" for non-drop frame timecodes and "99:99:99;99" for drop frame timecodes. The non-drop frame one works exactly as I want, but having the semicolon in the pattern for the drop-frame one is a problem. As documented here http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qlineedit.html#inputMask-prop a semicolon is used to specify what character to use for blanks, with the blank character to follow the semicolon. With my drop-frame input mask of "99:99:99;99" it's a mess - I get tons of 9's when editing (blanks) and valid, drop-frame timecodes only display HH:MM:SS (ie no frames). How can I get a semicolon to work like "any other character"? I've tried escaping the semicolon with \ like the doc says to do for the other special characters with no luck. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Brian

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

AFAIK, you're out of luck on this one. The semi-colon is hardcoded deep down in a private class. You can try and change that but this means that you will have to build Qt yourself

• Ahh, darn it. Oh well. I suppose I can make do with a dot instead of the semicolon, which is apparently also acceptable (according to SMPTE). Thanks for the response, SGaist!

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You're welcome !
    One thing you could do is create a feature request (but first check if somebody already asked for it) to add an API that allows to change that symbol

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.