Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to wait for QFileSystemModel so that rowCount() != 0

• Hi,

From the Documentation:
    Unlike QDirModel, QFileSystemModel uses a separate thread to populate itself so it will not cause the main thread to hang as the file system is being queried. Calls to rowCount() will return 0 until the model populates a directory.

Question
    What is the right way to wait for QFileSystemModel to finish it's procedure?

@ QFileSystemModel *fileModel;
    QModelIndex parentIndex = fileModel->index(path);
    int numRows = fileModel->rowCount(parentIndex);@

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

The "directoryLoaded":http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qfilesystemmodel.html#directoryLoaded signal might be a good starting point

Hope it helps

• Hi SGaist,

i think i am accessing the signal in a wrong way,

In Widget.cpp:

@
    dirModel = new MyQFileSystemModel;
    connect(dirModel, SIGNAL(​directoryLoaded(const QString &)), this, SLOT(toggled(const QString&)));@

in Widget.h:
    @signals:
    void directoryLoaded(const QString &path);

public slots:
    void toggled(const QString &path);@

Am i doing something wrong?
    Error: No such signal QFileSystemModel::?directoryLoaded(const QString &)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Yes you do, your SIGNAL and SLOT statements are wrong.

@
    connect(dirModel, SIGNAL(​directoryLoaded(QString)), this, SLOT(toggled(QString)));
    @

Out of curiosity, why the directoryLoaded in Widget.h ?

• Hi SGaist, still does not work
    QObject::connect: No such signal QFileSystemModel::?directoryLoaded(QString) in ..\AssetBrowser_02\widget.cpp:126

Out of curiosity, why the directoryLoaded in Widget.h ?

Do you mean in terms of Programm-Design? I am prototyping in widget.cpp and encapsulating it later in the appropriate classes.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Looks like you implement a custom MyQFileSystemModel, how does it look like ?

Can you show again your connect statement ?

• SGaist,

i just have overwritten the data in my custom MyQFileSystemModel:
    @class MyQFileSystemModel : public QFileSystemModel {
    public:
    QVariant data( const QModelIndex& index, int role ) const {

if( role == Qt::DecorationRole ) {
            return QVariant(QIcon(QPixmap(":/myresources/images/folder-icon.png")));
        }

return QFileSystemModel::data(index, role);
    }

};@

My Connect Statement:
    @connect(dirModel, SIGNAL(​directoryLoaded(QString)), this, SLOT(toggled(QString)));@

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You can also use a QIdentityProxyModel for such customization. That allows to reuse the same QFileSystemModel with several views (if you need such a thing)

What version of Qt are you using ?

• I think SGaist's solution is the better one. Furtheremore, your subclass is not complete: no Q_OBJECT macro, no constructor, etc.

• I am using version 5.4. The constructor should be derived from the base-class. Can the macro be derived as well? I don't know whats happening deep inside QT.

Ok now with the proxy model i get a runtime debug message:
    QAbstractItemView::setRootIndex failed : index must be from the currently set model

I was setting the root Index like this:
    ui->treeView->setRootIndex(dirModel->setRootPath(Globals::filePath));

I don't know if the error is coming from this part of the code, but seems to be, as i am only setting the root Index here. So how can i set now the index? The Proxy Model has no methods for that.

Thanks in advance