DLL error when running

• Hi, I'm new. I did a bit of research into this problem and found out I would have to add a few DLLs into the directory with my executable. I don't know how to do this, and need someone to tell me exactly where the DLLs are so I can copy them. Also is there anyway to solve this problem altogether? I read in another thread that if I bought the professional version this wouldn't happen. I would like to do that, but don't like the idea of paying for a yearly subscription. You know?

Anyway, If you can help let me know!

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Have a look at this fine wiki "entry":http://qt-project.org/wiki/Deploy_an_Application_on_Windows about deployment on Windows.

• There must be a better way to do it. Is it possible to down load something that can handle this sort of thing for me? Basically that is just trial and error until I find the needed DLLs. Plus it doesn't even link them to the final .exe. I don't want to complain, but good grief. If I buy the software will this problem stop?

(edit) I just found this from your link & it sounds like a plan:

Launch MyApp.exe. While it is running, try to delete all DLLs. The DLLs that aren’t used will go to the recycle bin, leaving behind only the DLLs that you need.

• Moderators

[quote author="CoreyWhite" date="1419373399"]There must be a better way to do it. Is it possible to down load something that can handle this sort of thing for me?[/quote]There's also the "windeployqt":http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-deployment.html#the-windows-deployment-tool tool which tries to automate the process for you. It's not perfect though, and might load some DLLs that you don't need.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

IIRC there's windeployqt can help you with that part of the deployment.

I know it's not the most easy task but it's nothing Qt specific. As soon as you have external dependencies you have to go through the same process for any library/framework/toolkit.

You can use something like Dependency Walker to see which dlls your application is linked against.

• OK, & thank you. I am content to just include DLLs. There are just so many of them to include!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.