Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

OSX - handling QEvent::FileOpen

• In my app, I want to check to see if the user wants to open a file via Finder (using QEvent::FileOpen). If hey haven't, then I want to show a file dialog to ask them for one. But I need to run exec() for events to start flowing. Is there an event that happens after QEvent::FileOpen, that I can use to know that a QEvent::FileOpen is not coming? I'd rather not use a timer. Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

The event will only happen if e.g. the user drops the file on your application icon. Since this should happen very early in the process, you could set a flag and check it in a slot called using a QTimer::singleShot with 0 as timeout value. This should let the event loop spin enough so that you can handle the FileOpen event. Note that I haven't tried that

Hope it helps

• Thanks, that seems to work. Do we all think this can be relied upon?

• I take that back. If I put in a non-zero timeout, it works. Zero does not. Currently I've got 100 msec.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then the event get's a bit later through than I thought. Anyway, did you check if that value is also valid when your computer is under load ?

• I guess I'm going to have to.