Which is more efficient ? use .ui file with QDesigner VS all by code

• which way is more commom and efficient ?
    i normally create my Qt app all by code, and not use .ui & QDesigner at all. and the layout plays an important role here.
    Here, i want to know what do u guys usually do ? use .ui & QDesigner is better or not & all by code ?
    thank you

• Moderators

At runtime, the performance is exactly the same.

Using UI files makes the compilation slightly longer (uic needs to create a header out of .ui file, then C++ compiler needs to compile it), but it's not a big difference.

Using UI files makes the UI implementation much faster than coding everything by hand.

• I usually do either all in code, or (rarely) do the initial layout in designer and then grab the ui_*.h and "convert" it to "handwritten" code (mostly by throwing out all the unneeded setObjectName, QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName etc calls).

I personally find refactoring code spanning both .ui and .cpp files (like renaming subwidgets, replacing a Foo class subwidget by a similar Bar class, or activities that require subclassing standard widgets to override event handlers or similar) more time consuming in the long run than using a pure .cpp setup.

• Hi..
    it's actually depends.
    AFAIK ..Both ways are efficient .But through coding developer can have flexibility and less dependency on Designer.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.