Difference between qico.dll and qico4.dll

• Hi,

I have problem displaying icons in my application which is built in release mode. I've looked through the forum posts and find that a lot suggested to put qico4.dll file. I'm using Qt5.2.1 (Windows 7) and I've only have qico.dll in my folder. Is there a difference between both files or it's just the naming?
    qico.dll has been put in the folder plugins/imageformats/qico.dll but i still can't see the icons during runtime.
    Any ideas? Or where to download qico4.dll?

• Hi.

First of recheck in plugins folder the two file extensions by right click ->property.
    the file qico4.dll you have posted is wrong it must be a static file(.lib).
    Yes there is a difference b/w qico.dll and qico4
    the former is an dynamic library(.dll) and later is a static library(.lib).
    the dynamic library in one that loads at run time.whereas a static library is whose purpose is at linking time/compile time.
    for more info you can see the detailed discussion on Qt forum.
    "find here":http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/25715

hope this helps.

• Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. However, I cannot find qico4.dll in any of the folders. Do you know where I might find it?
    Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

IIRC, qico4 was for Qt 4, since your are using Qt 5 just use the qico.dll, well, copy it at the right place.

Just one correction, on Windows lib files have two meanings: either it's a static library or an import library. The use is the same: you link against those, however the second is used when you are using shared libraries (aka dlls)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.