Memory leak in QHeaderView with hidden sections attached to QTreeView

• Hi,

I've recently run into an issue with QTreeView/QHeaderView on Qt 4.6.2 that, although I'm loathe to blame the library, looks to me like a Qt bug. Sample code:

#include <QStandardItemModel>
    #include <QTreeView>

class TreeviewTester : public QMainWindow

TreeviewTester::TreeviewTester(QWidget parent = 0, Qt::WFlags flags = 0)
    : QMainWindow(parent, flags)
    view = new QTreeView(this);

QList<QStandardItem*> items;
    items << new QStandardItem("Test") << new QStandardItem("Test2") << new QStandardItem("Test3");
    Model = new QStandardItemModel(this);
    view->setColumnHidden(1, true);
    TimerId = startTimer(0);

void timerEvent(QTimerEvent* event)

QStandardItemModel* Model;

int TimerId;

The important parts here are:

• Create a QTreeView
    • Give it a model
    • Make sure the model has some rows
    • Hide a column on the header
    • Trigger the model's layout-changed signal processing (here done with the sort call).

This program leaks memory and eventually crashes, because the QList QHeaderViewPrivate::persistentHiddenSections is being appended to every time the model throws out the about-to-change-layout signal, and never cleared. It's supposed to be emptied out in the layout-changed signal handler, but QTreeView::setModel() disconnects the signal to its header for some reason, and never passes it down as far as I can tell.

Calling QTreeView::setHeader() after QTreeView::setModel() prevents the problem, because QTreeView::setHeader() doesn't disconnect the _q_layoutChanged() signal.

Looking at the 4.7 repository, it looks like it would do the same thing.

So am I misunderstanding something about the way these views should work, or is this an actual Qt bug?

[EDIT: fixed list formatting, Volker]

• Please report it as a bug in Jira. If such a simple testcase triggers the problem, then I think you're on to a real issue here.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.