Forum moderating

• Ah didn't see the new forum. But gene splicers by definition should inherit moderation rights across the forum?

• Moderators

Could a moderator please get the right to move threads to his forum and not just the ability to move threads from the own forum into others? E.g. I am moderating the Tools forum and just today ran into some threads that I do consider to belong there... unfortunately I can not do anything about that.

Of course you could just allow me to moderate the entire forum (I am a Gene Splicer after all) to solve the issue for me without resorting to coding;-)

• [quote author="chetankjain" date="1285762595"]Ah didn't see the new forum. But gene splicers by definition should inherit moderation rights across the forum?[/quote]

Yes, but the assigning is by human, not automated. It will get there.

• [quote author="MariusG" date="1285763682"][quote author="chetankjain" date="1285762595"]Ah didn't see the new forum. But gene splicers by definition should inherit moderation rights across the forum?[/quote]

Yes, but the assigning is by human, not automated. It will get there.[/quote]

ok ok ... i thought the moderators belong to some internal group and get these rights (seen such things in other forum s/w) and again no rush :)

• [quote author="Tobias Hunger" date="1285763663"]Could a moderator please get the right to move threads to his forum and not just the ability to move threads from the own forum into others? E.g. I am moderating the Tools forum and just today ran into some threads that I do consider to belong there... unfortunately I can not do anything about that.
    [/quote]
    Tobias, if any specific thread, just let me know ... I can move it for you.

• I am popular today, everybody's asking for me!

I did two things:

• Tobias is promoted to moderator of all forums. Congrats. :)
    • Chetan got the moderation rights for the Certification forum as well. I had forgotten that earlier...

In addition to that we now have our own IRC channel on freenode. Hop over to #qt-devnet-moderators if you want to.

• Thanks@Alexandra :)

• congrats to Tobias on becoming the UFO engineer :P

• Moderators

Thanks! Now you are no longer alone in area 51;-)

• Grats! I'm currently on an off-site meeting, but I'll be back on irc tomorrow.

• chetankjain, you're getting close to the last rank!

Tomorrow we will add the last rank badge to the system but I suspect you will hit it even before that. In that case, don't despair, it's on it's way :)

• bq.
    Tomorrow we will add the last rank badge to the system but I suspect you will hit it even before that.

sure no probs :) ...

ah for now its showing the badge that was available in one of the earlier post "here":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/images/qtdn/badges_01.png ;-)

now expecting a golden badge with laser guns and sharks as someone had earlier mentioned :P

• Moderators

chetankjain: Congrats to making Mad Scientist!

The badge is rather disappointing so far... I hope you'll get an upgrade soon:-)

• thanks tobias! :)

• Sir chetankjain, have a look at your profile now!

Alexandra will tweet about your achievement and link to your profile, but we want to give you a chance to update your profile first, if you want to. Let us know when you're good to go :)

• [quote author="mariusg" date="1287574196"]Sir chetankjain, have a look at your profile now!

Alexandra will tweet about your achievement and link to your profile, but we want to give you a chance to update your profile first, if you want to. Let us know when you're good to go :)[/quote]

This badge is too good. Just love it !!! :) :) :)
    Ok now I need to go and update my profile, will ping you once done :P (by tonight...)

• Classic misunderstanding between Marius and me. The tweet went out already, I had it scheduled... Sorry for that. :-S

• [quote author="Alexandra Leisse" date="1287577533"]Classic misunderstanding between Marius and me. The tweet went out already, I had it scheduled... Sorry for that. :-S[/quote]

no issues :) and thanks for the tweet :)

• Moderators

Wow, that badge is way cooler than all the others... I do still miss the sharks and lasers;-)

• question to moderators and admins: should job postings like "this":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/1515/ be moved to the lounge instead of cluttering the various forums?

• As for me now they can stay at thematic categories, but when (and if) Job category will appear we should move them there.

• Congrats to Denis on becoming an Area 51 engg :) cheeers!

Now you should be soon getting moderation rights to all forums :)

• chetankjain, thanks :)

• Alexandra is in California on Qt Developer Days 2010, when she returns I'm sure she will give you the right powers.

I'm 147 points from Dinosaur Breeder myself, then I can wear my breeder t-shirt with pride :)

• Just a note to the forum moderators, Denis (most of the ideas) and I (clicked the buttons in the back-end) did some rearranging on the forums a few minutes a go.

Language Bindings, Announcements and Wiki Discussion got moved.

Behind the Scenes is now at the bottom of the forum overview.

We hope it makes more sense now.

Even more sense: Alexandra will set up a Jobs forum and we're thinking of renaming "Desktop" to something that also covers core Qt issues not directly related to a platform. Any good ideas?

• I was wondering. On the FAQs, when a "fix this"-comments has been solved on that FAQ entry, would it be best if we removed the "fix this" and "has been fixed" comments?

Example: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/faq/answer/what_is_the_qt_visual_studio_add-in (comment #1 and #2)

They don't add anything of value to the FAQ reader, in fact it only confuses the matter.

Should we as a policy delete comments regarding issues about the FAQ that has been solved?

• In the link, comment #2 is missing?

I'd say better to delete the "fix xxxxx" comment .. that way not confusing the user like you rightly mentioned

• [quote author="chetankjain" date="1289855448"]In the link, comment #2 is missing?[/quote]

After talking to Denis on IRC I went ahead and removed the comments, so it's not a very good example right now :)

• assumed so ... and i know i am missing completely from IRC :P ...

• Moderators

Just made it to mad scientist. Thanks chetankjain and Denis for the support during the last 80 points or so that were still missing. Without the two of you I would not have made it today:-)

• Congratulations, Tobias! :)

• not at all Tobias, most deserved considering the quality of responses you've been giving to forum users.

grins
    and today you were helping us in our journey towards a possible new C7 :P

• Fantastic!

• As a Gene Splicer I suppose I can help you guys somehow. What do I have to do? :-)

• Splice genes, while I have an eye on the robots ;)

• [quote author="anselmolsm" date="1292072194"]As a Gene Splicer I suppose I can help you guys somehow. What do I have to do? :-)[/quote]

Do you want to become a moderator? We'd be thrilled to have you. :)

• [quote author="Wolf P." date="1292095516"]Splice genes, while I have an eye on the robots ;)[/quote]

You're lagging behind, Wolf. You're supposed to breed dinosaurs now. :P

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.