General question on asynchronous programming

• Hi,
    Though it is a general question, I am mostly encountering the issue while learnnig Qt.

Let me give a simple example. Let's say I want to continue a process if and only if three mututally exclusive asynchronous processes (say, A, B and C) have succeeded. If anyone of them fails, I want to stop. If these three processes where not asynchronous, I could run them one after the other as make my decision to continue or not. however, this is not the case for the asynchronous processes A, B and C.

What I would like to know is: "What is the standard design (or QT's) pattern of going about this?".

I would appreciate an example or any external references to follow up on.

Thanks.

• To be clear, are you talking about processes or threads?

• Thanks for clarifying this. Looking at the documentation for QNetworkAccessManager, for example, Qt says "QNetworkAccessManager has an asynchronous API". I would rather use this definition just so to be within the context of Qt's best practices.

• If you are talking abuot the asynchronous API of Qt classes, they usually emit signals that indicate success/fail.
    For example, QTcpSocket will emit a connected signal once a connection has been established.

So if you're question is, how do I synchronize my code with Qt asynchronous function calls, my answer would be connect to the appropriate signals.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.