Safe to pass const references from one thread to another with QtConcurrent::run()?

• If I use QtConcurrent::run() to process some number crunching on another thread, is it okay to use a function for run() that accepts const references to objects? Will references be in tact across threads? This would be read-only reference; I am thinking it could avoid copying a lot of data for the number crunching over into a pass-by-value function. The function would not mutate any existing objects, just return a QVector of results based on the data it was passed.

The docs mention that run() will make a copy of data, so perhaps this would also apply to a reference, in which case I wonder if a pointer would be any better?

• Moderators

As you've already read from the docs, the arguments will be copied. Even if you pass a const reference, Qt will make a copy from your const reference.

However, what type is your object? If it is an "implicitly shared":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/implicit-sharing.html object (like a QVector), the copying is cheap so you don't have to worry. Otherwise, you will need to pass a pointer, to avoid copying large datasets.

Also, will your object(s) be modified by any other threads while you do your number-crunching? If so, remember to use a QReadWriteLock for both reading and writing.

• I will not be modifying any objects in my threaded calculations, just using threads to create new data from heavy calculations.

Would it better to pass a pointer (for read-only purposes) or to encapsulate what is needed in a QVector, etc, when cheaply sending data to another thread?

• Moderators

[quote author="qttester5" date="1397442407"]Would it better to pass a pointer (for read-only purposes) or to encapsulate what is needed in a QVector, etc, when cheaply sending data to another thread?[/quote]It depends on your existing design. What does your data structure currently look like?

• It is basically an object with several member variables, some of which are QVectors of other custom types.

• Moderators

[quote author="qttester5" date="1397445217"]It is basically an object with several member variables, some of which are QVectors of other custom types.[/quote]Passing a pointer makes the most sense.

Packing an object into an implicitly shared container involves copying the object, so you won't save anything there.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.