Custom QtDesigner Plugin loads for QtDesigner but not QtCreator

• I am still in the process of learning Qt. I've put in about 24 hours so far and am kind of stuck.

I created 4 different custom widgets inheriting from different Qt objects. (QWidget, QCheckBox, QComboBox, etc...)

I also created the necessary interfaces to go with these custom widgets. On top of this, I have a custom collection widget. Everything builds with no issues. I copy the *.dll file to QtDesigner's plugin directory and QtCreator's plugin directory, load up a new project in QtDesigner, and play around with my newly created widgets. I have full control over all of my custom widgets.

My issue is,
    when I actually want to work on my window form's code, I need to load my project into QtCreator. QtCreator is reporting "Cannot load library <insert library location>".

Note: I've attempted loading individual plugins of my own creation and example plugins provided by Qt. All report the same vague error: "Cannot load library <insert library location>".

Edit: I am running windows 7 64 bit using Qt 5.2.1MSVC2012 OpenGL 64bit

• I may have found the issue. QtCreator 3.0.1 Based on Qt 5.2.1 (MSVC 2010 32bit)

I assumed a MSVC2012 compiled QtCreator would come with the MSVC2012 64bit download...

Was this an incorrect assumption?

• Re. mixing MSVC2010 and MSVC2012, I don't think that's the issue, you can mix .DLLs from them in the same program. But what about mixing 32-bits and 64-bits DLLs, maybe that's the problem.

• I figured this was the problem because i'm building my widgets as 64bit but QtCreator is 32bit. I'm assuming this is why my widgets won't load

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Indeed Qt Creator's/Designer's plugin must be built with the same compiler used to build Qt Creator/Designer.

It's the same rule as for Qt -> always match the compiler.

Currently, the only way to ensure you have both using the same Qt is to build Qt Creator yourself

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.