Visual Studio 2012 Static/DLL Library Problem

• I have a Qt application which was developed in Linux that I am porting to Windows. I have a couple of my own libraries which I hope to statically link in addition to some of my own Qt libraries which by default are compiled with /MD (dll) via a qmake created Makefile.

I am getting wrapped around the axel with linker errors complaining that I am mixing LIBCMT.LIB and MSVCRT.LIB.

Can anyone offer guidance on how I should use /MD versus /MT compiler flags? I know these are supposed to be linker flags but they appear to have some meaining when building libraries. Perhaps even objects - don't know.

Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

The short version is: don't mix them. These are the settings to link against the static or dynamic runtime. So all your libraries/application etc… must use the same flag.

You can create a static lib using the dynamic runtime, nothing wrong with that.

By default Qt uses the dynamic runtime

Hope it helps

• Thanks for the useful reply. I am working with corporate supplied statically linked libraries which were created with the /MTd flag. My only work-around when integrating these libraries is to use the .dll version.

Can you explain what you mean by:

"create static lib using the dynamic runtime"

Thanks again.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Just that you can build a static library that uses the Microsoft dynamic runtime.

So your library itself will be static but linked to the dynamic runtime.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.