Pictures and text blurry on second screen

• Hi everyone,

I'm facing a big issue. I am working on Mac with Retina display on which a second screen is plugged in.
    When running my app on the retina display, everything is well displayed but when switching to the second screen, text are blurry ( mainly due to drop shadows ) and images are weirdly scaled ( edges are not smoothed ).

Does anyone have an idea on the subject ?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

What combo of Qt/OS X are you using ?

Do you mean that you get that issue when moving your application from the first to the second screen ?

• Hey,

what are the resolutions of your screens? If the screens have got different resolutions then the QML scaling is probably based on your app launch screens-resolution which causes the displacement and the blurry text.

• Ok so Qt is in 5.1, OSX in 10.9.
    Res of Mac Screen : 1920x1200
    Res of 2nd Screen : 2560 * 1440

App is launch on the 2ndScreen and it happens when I move it back to the Mac screen. So it launches with blurry text and everything and gets better once moved onto the Mac Screen.

• [quote author="MaxL" date="1392828347"]Res of Mac Screen : 1920x1200
    Res of 2nd Screen : 2560 * 1440[/quote]
    see

bq. If the screens have got different resolutions then the QML scaling is probably based on your app launch screens-resolution which causes the displacement and the blurry text.

Could you please downscale the resolution of your second screen to 1920x1080 and try if it works properly now?

• 5.2.1 for Qt my bad.

I can't scale down exactly to 1920x1080, I can only get down to 2048x1152 and 1600x900. When downscaling to the lowest, it produces the same issue..

• The problem should be the different resolution/ratio, not the big resolution on your second screen. You can downscale your resolution to 1920*1080 in your graphics-card settings.

• It is what I did, now every application have blurry text :P
    Seems to be because of the screen/res and not from Qt.
    Thanks for helping on that

• Yep, looks like QT is taking the core-resolution of your second screen so your application is based on 2560 * 1440, because of the downscaling it looks on the second screen like on your first screen. You could try to overscale your first monitor to 2560 * 1440. It maybe will be a bit smaller and not as sharp as on the second monitor, but the blurry effect should be gone.

Tell me if it worked so far.

• I can't get up to 2560x1440 on the retina display..I only have options that are Optimal, more space..saying that they are close to certain resolution.

• it is possible to set a custom resolution in your graphics-card settings.
    For Nvidia it would be:

NVIDIA Systemcontrol

Display

Change resolution

Adjust

Create custom resolution

But be carefull! You may have to reset your graphics-card driver or your nvidia display settings if you did something wrong.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

• [quote author="SGaist" date="1392838184"]Might be related to "this":https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-33069[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's a bug of the retina display due to the fact that there was no difference bewteen 19201080 retina and downscaled 19201080 second display.

• I could not find any graphic-card settings on my mac so I could not test the upscale of the Mac display.

For me it related with retina screen. Apps look way different even with the same res on both screen.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.