Should I use QWidget or Qt Quick, or will HTML5 allow me to run it in a browser?

• Hi, I've been exploring Qt for a couple of months now reading a book, implementing some tutorials and converting a few Qt4 projects to Qt5 and running them on Linux and Android. I still have much to learn and yet I need to start work on an app which will be used to log users on to high performance computing clusters to show and organise analysis of genome data.

I want to be sure I base this on the most appropriate project type, but don't feel I understand the benefits and drawbacks of each well enough to make an informed choice, so I'd like some community insight if you would be so kind. I plan to write it in C++, but I'm also comfortable with Javascript and Python if that affects the choice, and of course the app should run on Android, Linux, Windows and iOS.

At the moment I am considering Qt Widget App or Qt Quick App, but I am also contemplating HTML5 app if that will allow it to run in a browser(?). I note that the default Qt Quick App generated uses QGuiApplication as its basis and then sets the main.qml in a QQuick view derived class. From my understanding the main benefit here is the designer with transitions and ability to create a modern, sleek looking GUI.

QWidget seems a bit more straight forward to me with a QApplication with a MainWindow containing the UI, but it seems to me that QWidgets is almost a legacy feature from Qt4 and I'm not sure if there are any benefits to this over Qt Quick?

I would prefer to keep the UI separate from the C++ classes doing network communication and job/data handling so I can re-use it in other projects.

So, should I use QWidget or Qt Quick, or will HTML5 allow me to run it in a browser and give me more flexibility in deploying to various devices without compiling for each such device?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.