Rebooting the Qt Ambassador Program

• administrators

Hi,

As I stated a while back I'll start making noise around here. I'm the still fairly new online community manager from Digia.

One of the things I'd like to do as my first tasks is to 'reboot' the Qt Ambassador Program.
    By a reboot I mean to start the program again in some form that stays true to the idea of the original ambassador program, yet brings it more to today.

My thinking is that we should have different kind of 'ambassadors' for the community.
    For example we could have a title for people who actively help here on the forums. People like for example SGaist show a spirit of helping and guiding others that is very much what this community is about.
    Also active wiki editors/maintainers/gardeners could have a title. Bug hunters/triagers as well and of course people who make stunning cross platform applications with Qt. And quite possibly other types of activity that merit wider recognition.

The number of ambassadors (or whatever the titles would be) would be limited to a fairly small number. Also the titles would be for a limited time (annual?), with the potential of being granted the title for life if one achieves the title several years in a row.

Thoughts. comments, ideas all welcome to this thread! I'll make a wiki-page once this is a bit more concrete.

Also the name for the program is still in the air, all suggestions are welcome :)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Another very good Idea ! I think the name of the program should pretty much stay the same. It's still something that is known and appreciated (maybe just less known to new users)

• Excellent news :) It good that after a year or even more there is someone on full-time contact to take care of the community :)

• that's good....

• Moderators

Great idea! I think having distinct "types" of ambassador titles definitely fits well with the fact that there is a wide variety of ways to spread Qt around the world. Here's a few more roles that could be considered:

• Code contributors
    • Documentation authors
    • Bloggers/YouTubers who showcase Qt regularly

The original "Qt Ambassador" title was obtained by submitting an application. Perhaps there can be other pathways to earning the titles too?

• Nominations + votes
    • Automatically granted through some metric (e.g. helpfulness rank, calculated from the number of solutions authored and thanks received)

• Moderators

Yeah, I am all for getting some recognition to SGaist and everybody else that keeps this place alive and kicking!

• administrators

JKSH good stuff, yes.

Probably kick off with using some metrics (we do have the scores here), but I would like a nomination process at some point. Let's see if I get some time tomorrow to start making a wiki page out of it all :)

• administrators

And very glad to see Tobias here,
    much obliged, sir :)

• Moderators

Great ideas!!

How do you like to realize those rewards?
    We have already the badges. AFAIK the badges define already some of these ideas. We should avoid a duality.

• administrators

koahnig, yes the badges do work for the forums, no need to double work there, but the other aspects where we could have ambassadors need some metrics (or a nomination process or something)

I also plan on doing more infrastructure work, there's a separate thread on the website subforum http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/38227/ which probably will have some impact on metrics. Do give input on that thread as well.

• Would the old Qt Ambassador members who submitted projects have the opprotunity to be added back and recieve notification of this when the program was rebooted?

• administrators

Certainly, I'll make sure there is enough noise when we can go live with the reboot. And there will be more possibilities to talk about the upcoming Ambassador program reboot.

There is also something else I'm working on that might interest the old Ambassadors. A way to showcase good Qt applications, but I'll get back to that once I can say something more concrete, as it's still in the planning phase.

• administrators

Hi,

I got around to making the "Ambassador reboot wiki page":https://qt-project.org/wiki/Ambassador_reboot

Please go and edit it to include your ideas.

• Moderators

That's exciting progress! :)

Currently, the wiki page is set up as a list of statements. Would you like us to add ideas directly to those statements? Or under a separate "Ideas/Opinions" section to be examined before incorporating into the main body?

• administrators

JKSH just edit directly.

• Great Idea, will definitely create a new spark and energy for everyone to build this forum much stronger.

• Moderators

Cool deal! Thanks for the work!

• Nice! Keep up the good work!

• administrators

Updated the "wiki article":http://qt-project.org/wiki/Ambassador_reboot with some more details and ideas I gathered from the Trolls.

Ideas on what the titles should be are welcome. The 'areas' from the wiki page:

• Communications
    • Content creation
    • Testing
    • Documentation
    • Patching
    • Evangelising
    • Application developer

These are raw data from grouping ideas, so they can be changed.

In my ear Qt Ambassador of Communications kind of works, but does it convey the idea well enough? Some of them clearly don't.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Good ground to start thinking !

What about multi-talented ambassadors ?

• administrators

Good point SGaist,

My first reaction is that they get multiple titles. (edited wiki to reflect this)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That might be complicated for the t-shirts ;)

• administrators

I have a cunning plan for the t-shirts, which by luck would cover this case easily :-)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Nice !

Just another idea that could be interesting: zip hoodies, but not full green that might be too much :-D

• Moderators

[quote author="Tero Kojo" date="1397724542"]Ideas on what the titles should be are welcome. The 'areas' from the wiki page:

• Communications
    • Content creation
    • Testing
    • Documentation
    • Patching
    • Evangelising
    • Application developer

These are raw data from grouping ideas, so they can be changed.

In my ear Qt Ambassador of Communications kind of works, but does it convey the idea well enough? Some of them clearly don't.[/quote]"Communications" is rather broad and vague, IMHO. All the items under "Communications" were about community building, except for "Being a wiki gardener / editor".

I've taken the liberty to move a few things around. You can see the diff at http://qt-project.org/wiki/diff/Ambassador_reboot -- do you think this makes sense?

• administrators

JKSH thanks for the edit :)

I changed the areas to be persons (developer, creator, builder). Sounds better to my ears.

SGaist hoodies would be cool, but good quality ones cost quite a lot. And I don't want low quality stuff.

• Another idea. Shipping things around the world is not very convenient. May be more convenient is give a digital prints which verified with some code. Then members can print it anywhere they want.

• Moderators

[quote author="Tero Kojo" date="1398676627"]I changed the areas to be persons (developer, creator, builder). Sounds better to my ears.[/quote]Agreed, and they sound more personal too.

I've made some more tweaks; have a look.

"Patcher" sounds a little weak, IMHO. How about "Framework Developer" (i.e. developing Qt itself, c.f. "Application Developer")?

• administrators

Framework developer sounds better, changed to that.

• administrators

qxoz, yes shipping is a hassle. Might make sense to have some form of direct digital/delivery. Just have to figure out the practicalities.

• Good Idea..!

• Good idea to reboot the initiative. Nice to see recognition benefits, but loot section could be more attractive. Part of what made previous Ambassador program so cool (and improved Qt promotion skills a lot) was that it was so easy to show to friends, family, whoever, even myself that Nokia values you and to show off how cool the technology was - a special Ambassador device was all that. T-shirts.. don't quite cut it. In fact depending on the quality it can be even negative motivation - how many people never wear conference t-shirts after the confs?

Why

Sure, giving out devices is just one option (especially now that Qt isn't that much connected to one of the manufacturers), but the aim of the loot section should still be the same:

• Be able to show family, friends, whoever, that you are valued
    • Help yourself with Qt-related things (development, promotion, learning, communication)
    • Help with whatever you were doing already anyway (e.g. improving docs or moderating forums)

What could help achieving this goals?
    I can think of several things:

• Devices (not necessarily phones and sure can be co-sponsored by e.g. BlackBerry) - these always add a coolness factor, especially if they are somewhat special ones

• Extra paid support cases (Digia has that doesn't it?)

• Tickets/accomodation to Qt conferences/gatherings

• Sponsorship or co-sponsorship of local Qt events you arrange or back (e.g. help with renting room or getting a prize for a QML course you want to try teaching)

• Promotion of your services/apps by QtProject / Digia. Maybe a label on the Digia conference stand or coupons for app store promotions, a banner-page-article on qt-project.org or addition to some "services" directory

• Some other Digia stuff for free/cheap. E.g. Engin.io for free during the ambassadorship period

• A boost to qt-project status

What do you guys think?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.