Minimize to Tray in Gnome 2

• Hi,

I'm working with Qt 4.6 in Debian 6 with a Gnome 2 desktop environment.
    I'm trying to do a "Minimize to Tray" functionality but I can't make it work properly.

Here is how I hide the window:
    @
    bool MyWindow::event(QEvent *event){

if( event->type() == QEvent::WindowStateChange ){

if( isMinimized() ){

hide();
    return true;
    }
    }

return QMainWindow::event(event);
    }
    @

Then I call QWidget::showNormal() when the user clicks on the system tray icon.

This seems to work fine except when I switch workspace in Gnome (e.g. Ctrl + Alt + Right). For instance if the window is displayed on workspace 1, when I switch to workspace 2 and back to 1 the window is minimized to tray. The reason is that when I switch workspace the window receive the same events when I click on the minimize button: A QHideEvent with spontaneous set to true then a QWindowStateChangeEvent.

Does anyone have an idea how I could detect workspace switch in Gnome and keep the window displayed while the user switches back and forth between workspaces ?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Do you mean using something like QSystemTrayIcon ?

• I'm already using QSystemTrayIcon, here is a more complete extract from my code:

@MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    QMainWindow(parent),
    ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
    {
    ui->setupUi(this);

QSystemTrayIcon *icon = new QSystemTrayIcon(this);
    icon->show();

QObject::connect(icon, SIGNAL(activated(QSystemTrayIcon::ActivationReason)), this, SLOT(systemTrayIconActivated(QSystemTrayIcon::ActivationReason)));

}

bool MainWindow::event(QEvent *event)
    {
    if(event->type() == QEvent::WindowStateChange)
    {
    if( isMinimized() )
    hide();
    }
    }

void MainWindow::systemTrayIconActivated(QSystemTrayIcon::ActivationReason reason)
    {
    if( reason == QSystemTrayIcon::Trigger )
    {
    showNormal();
    }
    }@

The problem is that doing it this way the window is completely hidden when the user minimizes it (what I want) but also when the system minimizes it, i.e. workspace switch (not what I want).

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then you might want to check QEvent::spontaneous() const

• As I mentioned in my first post I already checked the value returned by spontaneous() , it is TRUE is both cases (minimized from the window title bar and minimized when workspace switches)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Sorry, I've missed that. And it sounds strange the both returns true

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.