[SOLVED] QMediaPlayer won't play on other machine

• Hello, I released media player with shared libraries... It works well on my PC... I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) and then Microsoft redistributable pack... Application run well but does not play file... There is nothing wrong with music file (.mp3) because Window Media Player can play it... I also tested on Windows 7 (64 bit) and won't play either... All functions work but it won't start playing music media nor video media...

I installed Qt on that Windows 7 machine and it play media without any problems when application is executed with Qt (Debug mode)...

It works perfect on Windows 8.1 (x64)

What am I missing???

• I downloaded http://projects.tano.si/vlc-qt to Windows 7 and there is a test application in that download... When I run my song with that application it plays sound well... I guess there are some dlls missing in system and question is how and where to add them... And which dlls are missing...

• Moderators

Hi,

We can't know what's missing unless you tell us what you included!

Also, open your program using Dependency Walker. Click "Profile" -> "Start Profiling…" That usually tells you what DLLs you are missing.

• Probably you forgot copy plugins?
    mediaservice
    playlistformats
    Unfortunately Dependency walker can't detect missing plugins.

• Hello, these are my includes
    icudt51.dll
    icudt51.dll
    icuu51.dll
    libEGL.dll
    libGLESv2.dll
    Qt5Core.dll
    Qt5GUi.dll
    Qt5Multimedia.dll
    Qt5MultimediaWidgets.dll
    Qt5Network.dll
    Qt5OpenGL.dll
    Qt5Widgets.dll
    MPlayer.exe
    platforms
    plugins

I also included plugins (mediaservices, playlistformats) in file next to MPlayer.exe did not work
    Then I added folder "plugins" and included them there - did not work
    In the end I included plugins in "plugins/mediaservices" and "plugins/playlistformats" and did not work either...

Application always starts and all settings works but it just won't start playing any kind of media...

As I said it works on two windows 8 systems, but does not work on windows 7...

• Hello again...

I built app on that fresh new Windows 7 and result is same... Media won't start playing... I really don't know what else to try... Works in QtCreator but does not work as standalone app...

• Moderators

Try these instructions on your Windows 7 machine: http://qt-project.org/wiki/Deploy_an_Application_on_Windows

• Oh thanks... Problem is solved... Mediaservices and Playlist formats plugins were missing...

I included files from these two folders on all possible ways, but never really just copied these two folders next to my app...

I have tried this and did not work...
    appFolder/plugins/mediaservices
    appFolder/mediaservices and playlistformat .dll
    appFolder/plugins/mediaservices and playlistformat .dll

Now I followed steps from link above and put plugin folders next to app and it worked...
    appFolder/mediaservices
    appFolder/playlistformats

• Hello again... I just noticed that my video player is not working... Audio files are fixed now but video won't play... Also video won't play in QtCreator either... Am I missing some codecs??? Video file works in Windows Media Player...

I am getting following error:
    The format of a media resource isn't (fully) supported. Playback may still be possible, but without an audio or video component.

I used .mp4 and .avi files...

• Moderators

What version of Qt are you using? Which compiler?

• Latest version of Qt and MSVC 2012 and Windows 7

Video works on my Windows 8 system in QtCreator and as standalone app... But in Windows 7 does not work...

• Moderators

Ok... what type of video is it? What error messages do you get? (When you run the program from Qt Creator, see the "Application Output" tab)

• .mp4 .avi

I am getting following error:
    The format of a media resource isn’t (fully) supported. Playback may still be possible, but without an audio or video component.

I found on google http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21458581/playing-videos-with-qmediaplayer-qvideowidget-in-qt5-2

It might be OpenGL problem... I am runing it on a virtual machine without any video drivers... But why would then GOM player and Windows Media Player work there??? Also application requires OpenGL.dll to work... I will install Windows 7 without virtual machine and test it...

EDIT: WMV video plays on virtual machine...

• Moderators

[quote]I found on google http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21458581/playing-videos-with-qmediaplayer-qvideowidget-in-qt5-2
    It might be OpenGL problem…[/quote]Yes, possibly. The StackOverflow post you found said that OpenGL 2.1 or higher is needed. However, Windows only supports OpenGL 1.1. You need a physical machine and install graphics drivers to get better OpenGL support.

[quote]But why would then GOM player and Windows Media Player work there???[/quote]Probably because they don't use OpenGL. (I don't know the details though)

[quote]Also application requires OpenGL.dll to work[/quote]I don't understand. You said you're using 32-bit Windows with MSVC 2012.

However, from http://qt-project.org/downloads , the 32-bit MSVC 2012 package -- which is "Qt 5.2.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2012, 541 MB)" -- does NOT use OpenGL.

Can you please re-confirm: Which Qt package did you download?

[quote]I will install Windows 7 without virtual machine and test it…[/quote]I believe that should work if you install graphics drivers that support OpenGL 2.1 or higher.

Alternatively, try using "Qt 5.2.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2012, 541 MB)" to build your project in your virtual Windows 7.

• Installed Windows 7 on physical PC and everything works fine...

About Qt Package you are right... I forgot I installed few weeks ago Qt 5.2.0 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2010, OpenGL, 517 MB)...

• Moderators

[quote author="Anonymous" date="1391794109"]I installed few weeks ago Qt 5.2.0 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2010, OpenGL, 517 MB)...[/quote]Did you try the non-OpenGL version?

• bq. Installed Windows 7 on physical PC and everything works fine...

It worked on physical PC... Seems like problem was in virtual PC and OpenGL...

• Moderators

[quote author="Anonymous" date="1391813300"]It worked on physical PC... Seems like problem was in virtual PC and OpenGL...[/quote]Yes. Which is why I asked, did you try the non-OpenGL version of Qt in your virtual machine? That might play the video.

• This uses OpenGL: "Qt 5.2.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2010, OpenGL, 517 MB)"
    • This doesn't use OpenGL: "Qt 5.2.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2010, 518 MB)"

• I installed Qt 5.2.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2010, 518 MB) on my virtual machine and video did not work...

• Moderators

[quote author="Anonymous" date="1391813894"]I installed Qt 5.2.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2010, 518 MB) on my virtual machine and video did not work... [/quote]I see. Sorry I couldn't help there... but good luck with your project!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.