New style connect to non-slot function with default params?

• Hi -

I'm trying to connect a signal to a non-slot function in a Qobject, namely QScriptEngine. The class has these functions:

@
    QScriptValue evaluate(const QString & program, const QString & fileName = QString(), int lineNumber = 1)
    QScriptValue evaluate(const QScriptProgram & program)
    @

When trying to compile my connect function, the compiler complains:

error: no matching function for call to ‘XAvionicsController::connect(XAvionicsController* const, void (XAvionicsController::)(QString), QScriptEngine&, <unresolved overloaded function type>)’

I want to use the new style connect from Qt 5, but don't know how to tell it "hey, pick that one!" Unfortunately the function is not a slot or else I could use the old syntax.

Am I just S.O.L?

• Moderators

Hi,

There are 2 issues here.

To tell the compiler which function to pick, you need to explicitly cast your function pointer (see Lukas Geyer's post at http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/21513 )

The Qt5-style connections do not support default parameters. If you want to connect to the evaluate(QString, QString, int), then your signal must also have 3 parameters (QString, QString, int). Or, you can connect your signal to a custom slot that then calls evaluate().

• Thanks!

Part of my problem is that I mis-read the second overload - I thought it was taking in a QString, but rather it takes a QScriptProgram.

I ended up changing the signal to have 3 parameters, and the connect looks like this:

@
    connect(this, &XAvionicsController::executeScript,
    _pScriptEngine, static_cast<QScriptValue (QScriptEngine::*)(const QString &, const QString&, int)>(&QScriptEngine::evaluate));
    @

Compiles at least, so it should work. Will report back if any problems occur when running.

• If you want to use a function that has overloads and/or default parameters, you could also use a lambda expression in your connect statement. Connect to a lambda instead of the function, and call the function from the lambda. There, these overloads or default parameters are no problem any more.

• Thanks, man. Do you think you could post some sample code?

Also, as I'm thinking about it... the point of what I was doing is that I moved the QScriptEngine off to its own thread and when I emit the signal, the function gets invoked from the event loop of the thread it is on, as opposed to the main thread.

If you do the lambda function, I think the function would get called on my thread, no?

• Moderators

Good call, Andre. I've now learnt a new way to use these tools today :)

[quote author="medvedm" date="1391179075"]the point of what I was doing is that I moved the QScriptEngine off to its own thread and when I emit the signal, the function gets invoked from the event loop of the thread it is on, as opposed to the main thread.

If you do the lambda function, I think the function would get called on my thread, no?[/quote]You can select the appropriate event loop (thread) using the "context" argument when connecting: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qobject.html#connect-6

• I'm a total n00b with lamdas, a little help here?

@
    connect(this,
    &XAvionicsController::executeScript,
    _pScriptEngine,
    [=](QString program) { _pScriptEngine->evaluate(program); },
    Qt::AutoConnection);
    @

This doesn't compile...

• Ah, on a hunch.... I'm using the current version of qt in ubuntu, 5.0.2, which does not have the connect overload referenced above.

• Moderators

[quote author="medvedm" date="1391182866"]Ah, on a hunch.... I'm using the current version of qt in ubuntu, 5.0.2, which does not have the connect overload referenced above.[/quote]You can install Qt 5.2.0, or implement a custom slot in a subclassed QScriptEngine.

Your lambda syntax itself looks correct (although I'd use const QString& instead of QString to avoid unnecessary copying)

• [quote author="JKSH" date="1391265817"](although I'd use const QString& instead of QString to avoid unnecessary copying)[/quote]

Copying QString is cheap. It's a COW (implicitly shared) class, remember?

In C++/11 with move semantics, passing by value may be faster than by reference in some cases.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.