Newbie cannot create project (invoke QY Designer) using Qt Creator 2.8.1 standalone on OSX 10.7.5

• I have installed Qt Creator 2.8.1 (Standalone) on my MAC (OSX 10.7.5), using the (qt-creator-mac-opensource-2.8.1.dmg) package installer; with the sole intention of using Qt designer to create Qt Widget interfaces, that I will populate with PyQt code.

I have successfully installed and use PyQt4, so I know Qt works on my machine. However when I try to create a project using creator I cannot find the Qt Widget template, I have a screen shot of the problem that I can provide if required.

So I have three questions...

1. Is there a way to run QtDesigner as a standalone program to generate template code for the GUI to be designed? If the answer is "yes" how do I invoke QtDesigner.

2. How do I overcome the missing QtWidget template to use QtCreator.

3. What is the purpose of Python in the template? Will this allow me to program in Python3.x in QtCreator? I thought QtCreator is only for C++?

I apologize for asking such rudimentary questions, but I'm new to this.

Many thanks in advance.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

1. If you have Qt installed (unless it's only a lib build) you have Qt Designer with it. Use spotlight with the key word Designer

2. You probably don't have any Qt version registered with Qt Creator. Go in Preferences, Build and Run, Qt Version and add there you're installed Qt then make a Kit with it. You should have now the QtWidget template.

3. Haven't tested it yet, but you can give it a spin. AFAIK, you have at least highlighting provided for python but I don't know if there's more to it.

Hope it helps

• Thanks for the prompt reply and the willingness to help.

It seems that in order to "make a kit" you have to provide the path to a qt executable? What (executable) file is actually required to "make the kit"?

Cheers

• Lifetime Qt Champion

First thing to do is is to add the Qt version, then when you create the kit, there's a combo box to choose which version you want to use for the kit.

• Done as told, can create a project, build and run it, but the Design button is still not activated. What is missing?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Did you add Designer Form ? Or a Designer Form Class ?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.