What's best for my old Win XP system? I have MSVS2008.

• Four days ago I downloaded Qt for the first time, and have had many problems. I am now downloading 5.2 beta with MinGW. My OpenGL support is only up to 1.5, with latest NVIDIA display drivers.

Should I set up Qt to work with MSVC2008? (I don't know how.)

Will MinGW work with my outdated openGL?

EDIT:
    Installation finished successfully but Qt Creator crashes immediately.

• Moderators

No, Qt 5 requires OpenGL 2 as a minimum. You can install Qt 4. Or - better - upgrade your machine :)

• I tried it on two other computers:
    Dell Inspiron 4100 - same immediate crash.
    Dell Inspiron 9300 and it did not crash.
    It has openGL 2.0.
    So now to try the tutorials again.
    Thank you.

• Well now I have a whole new set of problems - please see QTCREATORBUG-10991

• Moderators

Well, I do wish you good luck, but I doubt people will be very interested for in fixing stuff for such old hardware.

You can try Linux+Mesa, it will give you OpenGL 3 through software renderer. Or use Qt4, it should work.

• Yes, I have already been informed that Qt will no longer support XP.

There is however, I think useful information in the bug report concerning inconsistencies in the tutorial, that should have nothing to do with my old hardware. I hope someone sees that.

I am looking into getting a newer computer today.

I also think that seeing the kind of bugs and crashes I have seen is an indicator that there could be significant problems hiding that may at times manifest on newer hw. It seem unstable, too much random stuff going on. I would feel much better about it if it said things like:

Error - cannot run with less than ________ RAM

or

Requires openGL 2.0 or better.

or

Windows ___ is not supported. Do you wish to continue?

or

Warning Qt Creator my not run properly with limited memory.

In other words "crash gracefully"

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.