Switching Keyboard Focus Away from QMdiArea

• Hello all,

I'm having a problem with keyboard focus in relation to a QMdiArea. My problem is described below.

My application uses a subclass of QMainWindow with a QMdiArea as the central widget and several QDockWidgets surrounding the central widget. Prior to using QMdiArea as the central widget we were using a QWorkspace. We upgraded since QWorkspace is now deprecated.

In the previous version, a user could use the "Tab" and "Shift+Tab" keys in order to change keyboard focus between the QDockWidgets and the QWorkspace. Essentially users could "Tab" around the application using only the keyboard.

Once we switched to a QMdiArea as the central widget this was no longer possible. If the keyboard focus happens to be in one of the QDockWidgets then the "Tab" and "Shift+Tab" keys work as expected, however if the keyboard focus reaches the QMdiArea, the "Tab" and "Shift+Tab" keys no longer work and the keyboard focus is stuck on the QMdiArea and the user can only get back to the QDockWidgets by clicking them with the mouse.

I was looking through the Qt source code at the qmdiarea.cpp file and I see there is an event filter where the Qt::Key_Tab and Qt::Key_Backtab key sequences call a method that highlights the next visible child of QMdiArea.

To work around this, I created an event filter in my subclass of QMainWindow and installed it on the QMdiArea at construction time. I was able to get the "Tab" key working again mostly. It now will switch the focus to one of the QDockWidgets that I've specified for that event, however, the "Shift+Tab" combination still does not work. I would prefer to not hardcode the widget that should receive focus but the QMainWindow::focusNextChild() method seems to call the child windows of the QMdiArea instead of one of the QDockWidgets within the QMainWindow. Anyway, I digress.

My event filter in my QMainWindow subclass is being triggered on a "Shift+Tab" key press, but it's being triggered always instead of only when the QMdiArea has the focus like it does when the "Tab" key is pressed.

To make a long story short, I would like to know if there is a specific reason why the "Tab" and "Shift+Tab" keys work the way they do in relation to the QMdiArea and if there is any way I can have them behave the way they used to when the central view was a QWorkspace.

There seems to be no way to switch keyboard focus out of the QMdiArea completely. Just as a side note, the "Ctrl+Tab" and "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" keys work as expected, they change the focus of the child views inside of the QMdiArea.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.