Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Random folder select

• hello,

how can I make a random selection of a folder in a "unknow directory"?

For example:
    @
    QFile forDelete("C:/folder1/folder2/" + unknowFolder + "/folder4/file.txt")
    forDelete.remove();
    @
    Next of ".../folder2/", theres only one "unknow Folder name" and it has a unknow name. I hope, you can help me out. :(

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

You can use QDir::entryList to retrieve the content of folder2 and go on from there

Hope it helps

• Hello :)

Thank you.

I tried this:

@
    QDir mDir("C:/folder1" + "/folder2/folder3")
    foreach(QFileInfo min, mDir.entryInfoList())
    {
    QMessageBox::information(this, "", min.absoluteFilePath());
    }

QFile forDelete("C:/folder1/folder2/" + resultUnknowPath + "/folder4/file.txt")
    forDelete.remove();
    @

So via Messageboxes i got this returns:

• C:/folder1/folder2
    • C:/folder1/folder2/folder3
    • C:/folder1/folder2/folder3/unknow

Thats good.. but I would like to get the "unknow path" and puth the name of this "unknow folder" to QFile forDelete() as (for example) "resultUnknowPath".

Notice: I cant start my entryInfoList() at (..)/folder3 because there is more folders (folder 1 with folder1a, folder1b, folder1c, folder2 etc.).

Thank you very much for your help, SGaist. :)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then you have to run your code recursively for each folder. So start at the root folder and go through your folder hierarchy one after the other

• Hello SGaist, thank you for your help.

I did it. It works. But with a "other little method". But without your help, I didnt found a "own solution" for this. I used a similar function of entryList.

Please have a look of this code and tell me your feedback. :)

@
    QString pathUserInput = "C:/folder1";
    QString path2Start = "/folder2/";
    QString path3Final = "";

QDirIterator it(pathUserInput + path2Start, QDirIterator::Subdirectories);

while (it.hasNext())
    {
        it.next();
        if(it.fileName()=="folder4")
        {
            finalPath = it.filePath();
            QMessageBox::information(this,"",finalPath); // test output
        }
    }

QFile forDelete(finalPath + "/file.txt")
    forDelete.remove();

@

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The iterator is fine.

But if you have several folder4 you will only delete the file.txt in the last one.

You can also use the static QFile::remove to make your code cleaner

• Thank you SGaist. :)

My next and last question is: How can I get a part of a foldername?

For example:

@
    QFile forDelete("C:/folder1/folder2/folder3/folderUNKNOW/folder5/file.txt")
    forDelete.remove();
    @

After folder3, the first part of the name is the same: Its "folder...", but the next part of the name is "...unknow". Thats change every time.
    So I want to get the full folder name. How should I do this?

I tried the QString split method.. but I really dont know how I do this.
    And I cant use the same iterator because I dont know the full name. I know only the "first part" of the name. How should I do this? Should I use the same Iterator with "little" changes?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You can use QString's search features to get the length before folderUNKNOWN then the length up to the / following folderUNKNOWN based on the two values you can use mid() and right() to extract what you want.

• Hello SGaist,

I used the contains-feature of QString and iterator.

My Problem was, that I had more "folder"-names in the subdirectory. But the first result was true. All others was false.

I solve it with break; to get the first result.

@
    while (it.hasNext())
    {
    it.next();
    QString str = it.fileName();
    if(str.contains("number", Qt::CaseSensitive)) // for example: foldername: number33
    {
    QMessageBox::information(this,"",it.filePath());
    break;
    }
    }
    @

So this works. But I think theres a lot more "cleaner" and "effective" methods for this. What do you think? Im sorry. Im a truly beginner. :)

Im going to try your method too soon. But the problem, thats the length is not fixed. So it can change to number34 from number33, or to number551 from number33.
    If i use the Iterator to check all entrys with the name "number", so It returns this:

• number33 (thats what i want) - Folder
    • (...)/directsnumber - Subfolder
    • numberlist.txt - File
    • etc.
      I think, i use the wrong function. I think, I need something similar that returns all folder that contains "number" in the name instead of all folder and files. :/

• Lifetime Qt Champion

If you know you'll have several files to find, just traverse your folder tree and create a list of files to delete. Once you have search all folders, delete the files from the list