Debug modifications to personal clone of qt.

• Hi,

Suppose I need to make some modifications to QLineEdit in my personal clone of Qt sources. And I've made a simple test application to debug those changes. What would be the best way to set-up a development environment in this situation? Modify qlineedit.cpp and re-compile Qt, then debug with TestApp?

• what you mentioned above is the most simple and effective way I can think of. You are on right track.
    Make the changes in the src build the Qt and rebuild your application with the new build of Qt and test it.

• Ok, so just to be clear. The process is:

1. git clone <my-personal-git-clone-url> qt-latest
      1. configure -debug -opensource -shared -platform win32-g++ -no-dbus -no-phonon -no-phonon-backend -openssl -nomake demos -nomake examples
      1. mingw32-make

Latest Qt compiled, then.

1. Make modifications to Qt. qlineedit.h, qlineedit.cpp, etc..

Rebuild Qt to debug changes

1. configure -debug -opensource -shared -platform win32-g++ -no-dbus -no-phonon -no-phonon-backend -openssl -nomake demos -nomake examples
      1. mingw32-make

Repeat process 4 , 5 & 6 ... every time I need to change something

Is this the way Qt developers debug their modifications? It just seems a bit slow to recompile everything again and again.

• Depends on your changes to qlineedit.h. If they are not binary compatible (eg. add/remove a ember), you will have to recompile the lib. If you just do changes to the .cpp or to qlineedit_p.h you need not recompile everything. Make should catch up everything you need.

In any case, the configure step #5 is not necessary.

• Ok thanks Volker.
    I'll let you know what happens, but so far so good.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.