Promoted CustomQScrollArea segfault

• My actual use case is nontrivial, so I provide a small example that reproduces the segmentation fault:

I have class CustomScrollArea that inherits QScrollArea:

@
    class CustomScrollArea : public QScrollArea
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    explicit WarxingScrollArea(QWidget* parent=0);
    void segFaultThrowingMethod();
    private:
    QLabel* dynamicallyCreatedLabel;
    };
    @

@
    CustomScrollArea::CustomScrollArea(QWidget* parent) : QScrollArea(parent)
    {
    dynamicallyCreatedLabel = new QLabel;
    setWidget(dynamicallyCreatedLabel);

//this call will _not_ cause a seg fault
    segFaultThrowingMethod();

}

void CustomScrollArea::segFaultThrowingMethod()
    {
    dynamicallyCreatedLabel->setText("Some text");
    }
    @

I have a MainWindow class with the following source:

@
    class MainWindow : public QMainWindow
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    explicit MainWindow(QWidget *parent = 0);
    ~MainWindow();
    private:
    Ui::MainWindow *ui;
    };
    @

@
    MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    QMainWindow(parent),
    ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
    {
    ui->setupUi(this);

//this call will cause a seg fault
    ui->customScrollArea->segFaultThrowingMethod();

}

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
    {
    delete ui;
    }
    @

The .ui file for MainWindow contains a single QScrollArea promoted to a CustomQScrollArea. Its name is "customScrollArea".

When I start the application, the first invocation of CustomScrollArea::segFaultThrowingMethod() occurs in CustomScrollArea's constructor for Ui::MainWindow::customScrollArea and passes without incident. However, when MainWindow invokes ui->customScrollArea->segFaultThrowingMethod(), a segmentation fault occurs.

Note that the segmentation fault is not due to CustomScrollArea::dynamicallyCreatedLabel being null. The best clue I have is that this issue does not happen if MainWindow dynamically instantiates a CustomScrollArea rather than getting it from Ui::MainWindow. However, I would like to be able to use QScrollAreas promoted to CustomScrollAreas in Qt Designer.

Thanks for any help!

• This has been answered at "stackoverflow":http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19987774/promoted-customqscrollarea-segmentation-fault. The problem is my promoting a QScrollArea. A promoted QScrollArea will have its constructor's setWidget() call overridden in ui->setupUi(). If I promote just a QWidget to a CustomScrollArea, I get around this. It feels like bad form, but it works.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.