A clue for resolving QT Creator performance

• Hi !

I have made some tests to find what's up about the Qt Creator performance when handling very large files (10000+ lines). I think it may be related to memory pages swapping.

Virtual machine runs Win XP with 2 processors.

I run the virtual machine with 512 Mb of memory = SLOW
    I run the virtual machine with 1Gb of memory = Ok
    I run the virtual machine with 2Gb of memory = Still Ok
    I run the virtual machine with 3Gb of memory = SLOW
    I run the virtual machine with 4Gb of memory = VERY VERY SLOW !!!

If I keep memory at 2GB, everything is working fast !

Conclusion : It is not Qt Creator that is causing the problem, it's the OS !

Thank you !

• Moderators

Considering that Windows XP (non 64-bit) is not able to handle more than 3.5 GB the last option wastes memory:-)

Do you have enough memory in your server to run a 4GB virtual machine without over-commiting? Once the OS running the VM starts to swap all is lost.

Try running it on Linux. In my experience that is so much faster than working on windows.

• Hi !

About XP memory constraint and Linus being faster, I know !

What do you mean by "Once the OS running the VM starts to swap all is lost." ?

Thank you !

• Swapping: clearing RAM (beacuse it is full) by copying data not used to the HDD! SLOWWWWW

• Moderators

[quote author="max2g" date="1382100278"]What do you mean by "Once the OS running the VM starts to swap all is lost." ?[/quote]

Most probably Tobias meant that when your host operating system goes out of memory (because you assign too much to the virtual machine), it will start using the swap partition: and that beast resides on your hard drive, so is much slower than RAM.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.