Getting Qt5.1.1 to work in Visual Studio 2012 Professional on Win 7 64 bit

• Hi,

I'm new here to the forum, and I hope that this hasn't been answered elsewhere. I've googled quite a bit, but nothing I try seems to work. I figured I would ask here since its the Qt homeplace. Anyway, here's what I've done so far:

1)I'm on Windows 7 64 bit

1. Installed Visual Studio 2012 Professional - (with Update 3) [this works fine on normal projects]
    2. Installed the following version of Qt:
      3a) Qt 5.1.1 for Windows 64-bit (VS 2012, OpenGL, 522 MB) (Info)
      3b) This came with QtCreator which creates/builds/runs a new Qt GUI Project fine
    3. Downloaded and Installed "Visual Studio Add-in 1.2.2 for Qt5"

So far so good.

I open Visual Studio 2012 and see that it seems to have installed successfully. I have the QT5 drop down on the file menu. So, I do the following:

//Add Qt Version - This is the location with the bin\qmake.exe
    QT5 -> Qt Options -> Add -> I set path to "C:\Qt\Qt5.1.1\5.1.1\msvc2012_64_opengl"

So I create a new basic GUI Qt project with a single mainwindow form. I don't edit anything, as I just want to see if it'll run. When I build the project, it gives the following error:

Error 2 error LNK1112: module machine type 'x64' conflicts with target machine type 'X86' C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\QtTest\QtTest\Qt5Widgets.lib(Qt5Widgets.dll) QtTest

I've tried the following:

1. Configuration Manager -> "Active solution platform" dropdown -> change to X64.

When I rebuild, it throws a window's exception saying "There's no Qt version assigned for the platform x64."

1. Project -> <project_name> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> Linker -> Advanced -> Target Machine -> Changed it from "MachineX86 (/MACHINE:X86)" to "MachineX64 (/MACHINE:X64)".

All this does is switch the error message when building to "Error 2 error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64' C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\QtTest\QtTest\Release\qrc_qttest.obj 1 1 QtTest
    "

Well, I'm out of ideas. Did I download the correct bit version of Qt? I'm assuming not since QtCreator works fine as it seems. I'm also not very knowledgeable on these types of errors.

Ideally, while I am working off a 64 bit machine, I would think I would want to build 32 bit programs as I want my other personal computer and my professor's computer to be able to run the compiled program.

Any ideas?

• Partial Solution / Update!

So, I downloaded and installed the 32 bit version of the library from the download page:

Qt 5.1.1 for Windows 32-bit (VS 2012, 511 MB) (Info)

When i set the path to it in VS2012 as my default and create a new project, everything works fine. No errors, it builds, and it runs.

So.... I don't know why I can't get the 64 bit version to run through VS2012, but I'm ok with the 32 bit library for now. I guess if I want 64 bit application, I can just use QtCreator (64 bit) and do it there.

Maybe this will help somebody.

• I got tripped up on this as well. The solution is:

1. Right click on the project.
    2. Select "QT Project Settings" (Almost at the bottom of the long popup.)
    3. Click on "Version" (at bottom) and select the right version.
    4. Click on "Qt Modules" tab and select the modules you wish to use.

• Thanks for the reply GatoRat. However, I still cannot use my 64 bit 5.1.1 library with VS2012.

The "version" you mention is simply the path to the */bin/qmake.exe. I have both versions (x86 and 64) in that list. While the x86 version seems to work, when I try to use the x64 library, it throws the error in the original post. If for some reason I needed a x64 application built and wanted to use VS2012, do you have any other ideas.

Note: QtCreator (from x64) library works so I could always use that, but I'd prefer VS.

Thanks again!

• I am just now setting up a project for 64-bit and the "Version" in QT Project Settings is the name from Qt Versions in Qt Options. (These are two different dialogs.)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.