./configure ; make ; make install, but Qt 4.8.5 doesn't actually install

• I need to upgrade Qt on my development box (Centos 6.2), but Qt 4.8.5 will not fully install (no qmake, no examples, no plugins, etc). The build directory has ./demos, ./examples, ./doc, ./mkspecs, and many more directories, but they don't get copied over with "make install". The "install" target (in the root directory "Makefile") lists all the subtargets I need to install and more, but for some reason they don't. I would just copy them manually, but they are full of other build files and not just the target files I'm after. (Note: "gmake install" does copy over ./bin [with only 4 files in it], ./include, and ./lib, but that's it).

Things I have tried:

as user:

• tar -xzf qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.5.tar.gz (to a local directory)
    • ./configure
    • gmake

as root:

• gmake install

I have also tried the entire process as root just to see what would happen. I have cleaned the build directory (gmake uninstall ; gmake confclean) and went through the install process again. I have also deleted the build directory and started over from scratch.

The configuring and compiling complete fine, and "gmake install" also completes without complaint. Am I missing something simple? Every "try" I take is a real time commitment, and none of the forums cover this problem (which likely means the problem is me).

Thanks

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.