Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Ultra newbie Signal Slot question

• Hi,

Done lots of RTFM, but would hugely appreciate a tiny bit of starter code which would help me get my head around signals and slots.

I have a QString variable in my app class, and an LineEdit widget in the ui. Call these myString and myLineEdit.

I'd like to set up a two-way link as follows: if the user edits the string in the UI, myString should be updated accordingly. Likewise, I'd like a function, e.g. SetString(QString newString) which can be called by other code - updating myString and updating the displayed text in myLineEdit.

The first part I can handle I think, the second part presumably means I have to get 'SetString' to emit a signal which needs to be connected to a slot of myLineEdit. (?)

Struggling somewhat to work out both syntax and best-practice - any advice most welcome, thanks in advance.

• Moderators

@
    class MyClass : public QWidget
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    // ...
    public slots:
    void setString(const QString &newString);
    QString getString() const;

signals:
    // optional:
    myStringChanged(const QString &newString);

protected:
    QString myString;
    }

// Now, .cpp file:
    MyClass::MyClass(QWidget *parent) : QWidget(parent)
    {
    connect(myLineEdit, SIGNAL(textChanged(QString)), this, SLOT(setString(QString));
    }

MyClass::setString(const QString &string)
    {
    myString = string;

if (myLineEdit.text() != string) {
    myLineEdit.blockSignals(true);
    myLineEdit.setText(string);
    myLineEdit.blockSignals(false);
    }
    }
    @

This should do all you wanted to be done :) This is of course only one of many ways to do the job.