[SOLVED] Subclassing QLineEdit and typing a special character when a key combination is pressed

• Good afternoon.

I'm trying to subclass QLineEdit because I need to modify its behaviour pattern for few key combinations like Shift+Space and Shift+Return. I actually want it to type some special characters when one of these key combinations is pressed. For instance, when I press Shift+Space, I want my new LineEdit to type "■" (U+25A0) and, when I press Shift+Return, I want it to type "¶" (U+00B6).

My problem is I don't know which protected function I should modify or how I should modify it. Is it keyPressEvent, inputMethodEvent or another function? If I have to use or modify inputMethodeEvent, how should I use the class QInputMethodEvent?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Moderators

this should do it:
    @
    void MyLineEdit::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent* event)
    {
    if( event->modifiers() & Qt::ShiftModifier )
    {
    switch( event->key() )
    {
    case Qt::Key_Space:
    this->insert( QString::fromUtf8("\u25A0") );
    return;
    break;
    case Qt::Key_Return:
    case Qt::Key_Enter:
    this->insert( QString::fromUtf8("\u00B6") );
    return;
    break;
    }
    }

QLineEdit::keyPressEvent(event);

}
    @

• raven-worx: don't forget to check for the Shift key modifier though...

• Moderators

[quote author="Andre" date="1375189703"]raven-worx: don't forget to check for the Shift key modifier though...[/quote]
    i did...first line in the event handler ;)

• [quote author="raven-worx" date="1375189870"][quote author="Andre" date="1375189703"]raven-worx: don't forget to check for the Shift key modifier though...[/quote]
    i did...first line in the event handler ;)
    [/quote]

Doh! Sorry, you are right of course.

• void MyLineEdit::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent *event)

keyPressEvent is enough to control all key press event in qt.

• That works well. Thank you for your help.

PS: What do the function inputMethodEvent actually do? When should I modify it?

• Moderators

basically you don't need to use inputMethodEvent handler if you don't know what it is doing ... i know stupid answer ;)
    I never had to use it so far. It's basically used if a special QInputContext is installed on the QApplication. So if you use Qt as it is, you don't need to use it.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.