[Solved] Draw lines animation

• !http://i.stack.imgur.com/TQnIx.gif(Draw Line Animation)!
    Hi, I'm trying to create a drawing animation similar to the above, where it literally is drawing a line like using a pen. I've read the QAnimationFramework and at the moment I'm currently working on a solution by changing the coordinate of the QLineF by inherting QGraphicsLineItem to QObject then use QPropertyAnimation to animate it.
    I'm a newbie so wondering if this is possible, or if you can suggest a direction for me would be awesome. Thanks very much!

• So I went with a QTimer approach, by connect timeout() with a slot called move() where it gradually increase the end point of the line:
    myLine.h
    @#ifndef MYLINE_H
    #define MYLINE_H

#include <QGraphicsLineItem>

class myLine : public QObject, public QGraphicsLineItem
    {
    Q_OBJECT

public:
    myLine();
    QRectF boundingRect();
    void paint(QPainter *painter, const QStyleOptionGraphicsItem *option, QWidget *widget);

private slots:
    void mySlot();
    private:
    QLineF thisline;

};
    #endif // MYLINE_H
    @
    myLine.cpp
    @#include "myLine.h"

#include <QPainter>
    #include <QApplication>

myLine::myLine()
    {
    thisline.setLine(0,0,50,50);
    }

QRectF myLine::boundingRect()
    {
    return QRectF(0,0,500,500);
    }

void myLine::paint(QPainter *painter, const QStyleOptionGraphicsItem *option, QWidget *widget)
    {
    painter->setRenderHint(QPainter::Antialiasing);
    painter->setPen(QPen(Qt::red, 8, Qt::SolidLine, Qt::RoundCap, Qt::MiterJoin));
    painter->setBrush(QBrush(Qt::white, Qt::DiagCrossPattern));
    painter->drawRect(boundingRect());
    painter->drawLine(thisline);
    }

void myLine::mySlot()
    {
    for (int i = 1; i < 100; i++)
    {
    QLineF line = this->line();
    line.setLine(0,0,50+i,50+i);
    update();
    qApp->processEvents();
    }

}
    @
    and main.cpp
    @ scene = new QGraphicsScene(this);

ui->graphicsView->setScene(scene);
    ui->graphicsView->setSceneRect(0,0,700,700);
    ui->graphicsView->setRenderHint(QPainter::Antialiasing);

myLine *line = new myLine();
    scene->addItem(line);

timer = new QTimer(this);
    connect(timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), line, SLOT(mySlot()));
    timer->start(100);@

However it only draw a single line, there was no animation. I think there's a problem in the loop or SLOT so i would be very grateful can point this out for me. Thannks very much!

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

You should not have a for loop in your slot rather each time your slot is called you increment your line coordinates and call update(). Also in your slot you are modifying a copy of the line without setting it after.

If I've read the documentation correctly you shouldn't even need to sub class QGraphicsLineItem. Just use it

Hope it helps

• Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

Yes you're right, I didn't have to subclass QgraphicsLineItem so I removed it then use QPropertyAnimation to modifies the endpoint coordinate of the line and that does the job.

Cheers,

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You're welcome !

Please update the thread's title to solved so other forum users may know a solution has been found :)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.