'If' does not work

• Hi,

I'm trying to do a IF-Query in my QT Creator 5.0.2 (and the Designer). Here's my code for mainwindow.cpp:

@#include "mainwindow.h"
    #include "ui_mainwindow.h"

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    QMainWindow(parent),
    ui(new Ui::MainWindow)

{
    ui->setupUi(this);

if (ui->comboBox->currentText() == "Digital IO")
        ui->pushButton->setVisible(false);
    else
        ui->pushButton->setVisible(true);

}

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
    {
    delete ui;
    }@

When I change the combobox item, nothing happens with the button. Help?

• Moderators

Please wrap your code in '@' tags and format it properly.

The code above is placed in the constructor - the if statement runs only once, when MainWindow is created. To get updates whenever comboBox state changes, connect one of it's signals to a custom slot and place your check there. You can do this by hand or by right-clicking on your comboBox in Designer and selecting "Go to slot..." option.

• -Argh sorry, didn't noticed that there's a code tag. I've edited it.-

-This was that, what I've been thought of, too. So it just loads while the window constructs. I'm a total newb to QT, could you explain this a bit more please? Where to put the code snippet then?-

Did it! Thanks

• Moderators

If you do it in Designer (Qt Creator), it will add the code automatically for you.

If you prefer to do it yourself, you need to add a slot to - for example - your MainWindow class:
    @
    private slots:
    void comboBoxChanged(const QString &newText);
    @

Then you need to connect QComboBox signal to your new slot. I chose "currentIndexChanged" but you have many more to choose from (consult the docs):
    @
    // in MainWindow constructor or somewhere else if it fits your design better:
    connect(ui->comboBox, SIGNAL(currentIndexChanged(QString)), this, SLOT(comboBoxChanged(QString)));
    @

The last thing is to implement the new slot:
    @
    void MainWindow::comboBoxChanged(const QString &newText)
    {
    if (newText == "Digital IO")
    ui->pushButton->setVisible(false);
    else
    ui->pushButton->setVisible(true);
    }
    @

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.