[Completely solved] QGraphicsTextItem: Howto start editing via code?

• How do I start text editing via code for those QTextDocument based classes?

Based on my experiments with QGraphicsTextEdit, the obvious attempt was to use setFocus. However, while I get the nice frame that indicates editing, and also a blinking cursor, I cannot type until I actually click into the widget using the mouse.

How to do it? Of course, I can simulate a mouse click, but that sounds ugly.

EDIT: I have since found that in a very simple test sample, setFocus works. So something in my environment seems to block me.

EDIT2: Apparently, a QPushButton is soaking up the key press events. How I just have to find out why it's doing that, although I clearly have set the focus elsewhere.

EDIT3: Setting the focus on a QGraphicsItem does not automatically cause it to receive keyboard events, because one of the QGraphicsViews showing this item must receive the keyboard focus, too.

• have you tried this:

@QWidget *w = QApplication::focusWidget();
    if(w) w->clearFocus();
    // set your focus
    @

"QApplication::focusWidget()":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qapplication.html#focusWidget

bq. Returns the application widget that has the keyboard input focus, or 0 if no widget in this application has the focus.

• No, I haven't. But it now appears logical to me that a QGraphicsItem cannot know which of the views displaying it should receive the focus. Therefore, setFocus on a QGraphicsItem alone does not contain enough information to determine the focusWidget.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.