QFile - Row Count Problem

• Hi guys

I have datas in txt file. I want to count how many rows are in the txt file.

data_num.txt
    @
    10 15,2
    12,1 42
    @

@
    QFile file("datas/data_num.txt");
    QTextStream in(&file);
    int rowSize;
    while( !in.atEnd()){
    rowSize++;
    }
    @

When I debuged the program, I guess I got endless loop. Because my program is waiting something and It crash. Why doesn't the while loop stop?

• Because inside your loop, you are not doing any file reading. You should read a line per loop iteration.

• [quote author="Andre" date="1364563689"]Because inside your loop, you are not doing any file reading. You should read a line per loop iteration.[/quote]

Okey. I changed the code but now I cant get the datas from txt. Because "in" locations is atEnd?

@ QString a;
    while( !in.atEnd()){
    a = in.readLine();
    rowSize++;
    }

QString data1, data2;

for(int i=0; !in.atEnd(); i++) {
    in >> data1 >> data2;

accTableColumn1[i] = data1.toDouble();
        accTableColumn2[i] = data2.toDouble();

}
    @

• Why don't you combine the two operations in a single loop? That would be much more efficient...

• I know but there are some codes in second loop which need rowSize.

• Really? There is no way around that?
    Note that reading the input file twice is much slower than iterating over an in-memory structure again to adapt some values...

But if you insist: how about you simply move the position back to the beginning of the file after you have measured the number of rows? QIODevice::seek should be what you are looking for there.

• Yes, you right. I should change my code a little. By the way I fix the error with seek() func. Thanks for quick help:)

@ QString a;
    while( !in.atEnd()){
    a = in.readLine();
    rowSize++;
    }
    in.seek(0);
    ...@

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.