Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

[Solved]How to prevent this crash?

• In my code, at a certain line I have this condition:

@if(imageData->myImage==NULL)
    {
    }
    @

However, my code crashes at the "if" line for a certain reason. It gives "read access violation" error. When I debug the code, I see in the locals and expressions that the value of the "imageData->myImage" is Memory access error. Could you please how I can put an if condition where I check if the memory is reachable for this variable or not?
    What I want to do is:

@if(imageData->myImage== "Condition for memory access error")
    {
    }
    @

Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to DevNet.

Did you check that imageData is a valid pointer ?

• Moderators

Your myImage is probably declared as private, hence it's not accesible. Either make it public, or use a getter to get the pointer. Then the pointer == NULL will work (make sure you explicitly set it to null in the constructor or somewhere. Pointers, just like variables in c++, are not automatically initialised to 0).

• [quote author="SGaist" date="1363868284"]Hi and welcome to DevNet.

Did you check that imageData is a valid pointer ?[/quote]

How can I check it?

[quote author="sierdzio" date="1363868421"]Your myImage is probably declared as private, hence it's not accesible. Either make it public, or use a getter to get the pointer. Then the pointer == NULL will work (make sure you explicitly set it to null in the constructor or somewhere. Pointers, just like variables in c++, are not automatically initialised to 0).[/quote]

It's not declared as private. The code runs perfect for some time & passes million times over this line but it crashes there fore some reason.

• Moderators

Ah, ok. Then check for validity of imageData before using it:
    @
    if (imageData && imageData->myImage==NULL) {
    }
    @

• Lifetime Qt Champion

As sierdzio said: check for imageData == NULL before doing imageData->myImage == NULL

• Of course. Why could I have thought about this before. Thanks guys. How do you mark the thread as solved?

• Moderators

Edit your initial post and add "[Solved]". I've already tagged it for you.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You're welcome

Simply edit the thread title and add [Solved]

• Thanks guys. You two are parallel processing here :D

• Moderators

Hehe, yes it would seem so :)