Externally modified

• qt creator wont ask for update files that have been externally modified.

how can i make him spot the changes and ask me to update the files..

BTW in the option->enviroment->when files are externally modified
    i chose "always ask"

thanks

• Moderators

Works for me on all platforms. Which version of Qt Creator are you using? What operating system?

• Hello,

I have a similar issue on Linux. The message to inform that a file has been externally modified occurs after 2 minutes. For information, my project contains 20.000 files.
    If I create a new project with 100 files, the message occurs more quickly.

I use QT creator 2.70 (64-bits), on Linux RHEL 6, kernel 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64.

Greg.

• Moderators

[quote author="Gregos" date="1367258565"]For information, my project contains 20.000 files.[/quote]
    i just have to ask: Why? Just why would you do this?! :)

• Yes I know there are too many files. I removed 80% of the files. Now I have "only" 2000 files and I cannot removed an other files of my project. All the 2000 files are required to browse the code and to navigate from a function to another function.

If I would like just open and edit, I would use emacs or gvim. But I need of the feature of Qt Creator.

When I said, my project contains 2000 files, It does not mean that I open 2000 files in the same time. It means there are 2000 files in my project, but 2 files only are opened and I need to wait more than 2 minutes to know that one of my 2 open files has been modified.

I expect that the time to inform that a file on disk has been modified does not depend of the number of files in the project but depends of the number of opened files.

Greg.

• Moderators

A newer kernel might make a difference: The file-change notification APIs have come a long way since 2.6.

Do you have your project files on a NFS share or are you using lots of symlinks (there are version control systems that do that)? Both will seriously effect the time it takes creator to see changes.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.