Negativ number as true in C++.

• Any non-zero number (positiv AND negativ number) is true in the test-condition of the "if" statement.
    Where can I find the declaration of this rule in the c++ standard?

• Search for "Boolean conversions" in the standard document, how did you expected to work?

• Hi broadpeek,

it is very easy: an if clause checks a bool value, and bool means: false = 0.
    But I can't tell you whether it is written somewhere in the standard. If it is, it's the C-standard.

• Till now, I have known that any positiv integer is true.
    And any non positiv integer and the zero are false.

Yeasterday I programmed a condition and I was surprised that negative integer is true too...

Therefore, I tried to search this definition in the C++ standard but I have found nothing about this...

• Quote from C++ 2003 revision:

bq. 4.12 Boolean conversions [conv.bool]
    ... A zero value, null pointer value, or null member pointer value is converted to false; any
    other value is converted to true.

• [quote author="Zlatomir" date="1360325618"]Quote from C++ 2003 revision:

bq. 4.12 Boolean conversions [conv.bool]
    ... A zero value, null pointer value, or null member pointer value is converted to false; any
    other value is converted to true.[/quote]

Yeeeeeeessssss!
    This was what I have searched :)

Thank you very much!

• [quote author="broadpeak" date="1360324319"]Till now, I have known that any positiv integer is true.
    [/quote]

Think more in "binary" oder "hexadeciamal" mode ;)
    There are no difference between positiv or negativ, because you cannot set a minus before a hexadecimal value :)

for an if clause, the "if" only see the binary or hexadecimal value.
    [code] if(0x80) { ...
    [/code]

That could be a signed (-1 I think...) or unsigned char (127), but for the if clause, it is true :)

• [quote author="Serenity" date="1360326276"]
    [quote author="broadpeak" date="1360324319"]Till now, I have known that any positiv integer is true.
    [/quote]

There are no difference between positiv or negativ, because you cannot set a minus before a hexadecimal value :)

for an if clause, the "if" only see the binary or hexadecimal value.
    [code] if(0x80) { ...
    [/code]

That could be a signed (-1 I think...) or unsigned char (127), but for the if clause, it is true :)

[/quote]

Ok, I understand. Thanks!

• The explanations of this are very good. As far back as I can remember expressions evaluate as "true" when they are non-zero. In the *nix world, most functions returned 0 for success and negative for the error condition. M$ complicates this even more by making tokens to denote the system, error code, etc. Hence the need for the macro SUCCESS in a lot of their return values.

It is always a good practice, for readability and no ambiguity, to just put:

if (value == 0) or
    if (value != 0)

and just let the compiler optimize it out.

• Moderators

[quote author="Serenity" date="1360326276"]
    There are no difference between positiv or negativ, because you cannot set a minus before a hexadecimal value :)[/quote]
    Well... you can actually :) Hex is just a notation, it doesn't change the underlying bit meaning which can signify a negative integer. It's ok to do @int a = -0x1;@ , it's just not the typical use of it.

This is a historic optimization. CPUs have a special instruction for checking 0 values (like jnz in assembly), so it was (no longer true of course for quite some time) cheaper to treat "anything but zero" as true.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.