[Solved] How to get the KeyPressEvent for . (Dot) key ?

• Hi...

I have a QLineEdit in that if I enter a . (Dot), That . (Dot Value) should be changed to " (Quote symbol) in the Line Edit.

I Tried using the Qt::Key_Period for getting the . (Dot value). But its not working for me. Plz suggest me how to change the LineEdit Value from .(Dot) to "(Quote) .

Thanks & Regards.

• I think you should work with keyPressEvent

See "doc":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtwidgets/qlineedit.html#keyPressEvent for more information.

• Thanks for your suggestion. I know that i have to use this in *keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent e) slot. Inside that slot only i tried using this Qt::key_Period. But i couldn't get the solution.

Thanks & Regards

• See the "tetrix-example":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtwidgets/widgets-tetrix.html

search for "void TetrixBoard::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent *event)".

I fthink your solution should look like this ( QLineEdit allso inherits QWidgets ).

• in event-Pointer you can call key() returning the pressed key.

• @
    '.' == QKeyEvent::key()
    @

don't work ?

• Nope... It doesn't work.. :-(

Thanks & Regards

• One more approach can be to override the eventFilter() function of the lineEdit like :-

@bool eventFilter(QObject *target, QEvent *event);@

and in the implementation you can try

@bool MyLineEdit::eventFilter(QObject *target, QEvent *event)
    {
    if (event->type() == QEvent::KeyPress)
    {
    QKeyEvent *keyEvent = static_cast<QKeyEvent *>(event);
    if (keyEvent->key() == Qt::Key_Period)
    {
    //doSomething
    return QWidget::eventFilter(target, event)
    }
    }
    return QWidget::eventFilter(target, event);
    }@

Note : The above approach can be used if you are creating your own custom lineEdit, the keypressevent() will also work incase of custom lineEdit, If you are not using a custom lineEdit then you need to use installEventFilter() on you widget and use the above approach/function but you need to check if target is equal to the lineEdit instance.

Written brain to terminal not tested

• Cool.... That Works Fine.... Thanks a lot Sam..... :-)

Thanks & Regards

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.