Cannot compile Qt 5 on Mac OS ML

• Hi.
    I'm trying to compile Qt 5.0 from git on Mac OS Mountain Lion with Xcode 4.5.2 installed and the process stops with error in compiling PCRE.
    I configured the compilation with:

/configure -developer-build -opensource -nomake examples -nomake tests -framework

following the instructions in the http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git page ( added the -framework switch )

When running "make" I get a series of errors while compiling PCRE. The first is:

@tools/qregularexpression.cpp:796:5: error: unknown type name 'pcre16_extra'; did you mean 'pcre_extra'?
    pcre16_extra *optimizePattern();
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~
    pcre_extra@

Another is:

@tools/qregularexpression.cpp:822:5: error: unknown type name 'pcre16_extra'; did you mean 'pcre_extra'?
    pcre16_extra *studyData;@

I'll appreciate any help in this matter, thank you.

• I had the same issue at first but it went away when I changed my toolchain to the Apple provided clang. Change the environment variables CC=clang and CXX=clang in /etc/launchd.conf and restart.
    They were originally set for gcc and g++

If you need to make the CC and CXX variables persist for sudoers then you need to follow the instructions here also:

http://craiccomputing.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/setting-environment-variables-for-sudo.html

After all that I get a lot further but I can't get dbus to compile and it seems to ignore the -no-dbus option and try to compile it anyway, but that's a different issue!

• Hi.
    Thank you for the suggestion but I was already compiling with clang. I applied your suggestion anyway but I got the same error at the same point.

Cheers.

• I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get this fixed?

• Re-tried today with Qt 5.1, Mavericks a XCode 5, still the same issue. Is it possible that nobody can give a usable workflow to compile Qt 5 on Mac?

• I found the issue. There was an older version of pcre.h in my system. It was in /opt/local/include and Qt found it and used it instead of the one included in the Qt source. Do a system-wide search and you'll be able to find the problem.

Hope this helps.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.