Solved: Regex expression ?? <tag>...</tag>

• Hello guys,
    I am trying to catch a string from inside another string. The string to be catched is as follows:

<line> ..... some text .... </spin>

I want to catch the some text. Could you please help me with the regexp?

I tried the following but does not work

QString output="embed'><span class=SpellE><span lang=AR-SA style=' '><line>نتمكيبسشبسشكنتمنسيشم</span></span>";

QRegExp exp ("<line>.*</spin>");
    int index = exp.indexIn(output);
    qDebug () << "regexp" << output << "index=" &lt;&lt; index;
    QStringList lineslist;
    QString linestr;
    while (index &gt;= 0) {
        int length = exp.matchedLength();
        qDebug() &lt;&lt; "linestring = " << linestr;
        index = exp.indexIn(output, index + length);

• You have </span> in your string instead of </spin> or you have </spin> in your regex instead of </span>.

• writing mistake, it is </span> .. thank you for the note. I fixed it
    QRegExp [removed]"<line>.*</span>");

how ever this does get all the text for example, if i have <line> ..... </span> <span1> </span>

It produces all the text till the last </span> but i need the first </span> after the <line> tag

• I don't know if Qt supports it, but .*? is a non-greedy expression which should be what you are searching for.

• You want the setMinimal() method in QRegExp.

• thank you guys, i found i

QRegExp [removed]"<line>[^<]*</span>");

But this outputs ex:

is it possible to trim the <line> and the </span> in the same expression?
    to spare an extra line QString.mid ...

• See the section in the QRegExp documentation on capturing text. The first paragraph shows how you can replace the call to mid with a call to exp.cap(). Alternately you could adjust the parameters on the call to mid since you want to strip out fixed length segments at the ends.

• Wouldn't it make much more sense to use a real parser, like the XML module in Qt? RegExps are useful, but they are a poor substitute for parsers. What happens, for example, if your input text has multiple <span></span> pairs? What if these are nested?

• Andre: thank you for your comment, however it does not need an xml parser, since i don't have multiple nested tags. Just only <line> and the required text is till the next first </span>

I have the string now in the ascii format, I need to convert it to the QString type so that i can match the characters with each pressed key in my game.

@"نتمك" @

Edited: these vaues after &# are decimal representation of unicode values

• can somebody help me in the last point?

I need to split the numbers, convert each to hex

int a1 = 1606;
    QString b = QString::number( a1 , 16 ); // b=0628

put \x before and after the 2nd digit to get \x06\28

QString test1 = QString::fromUtf8("\x06\x28"); // è encoded in UTF8

is there an easier way to do it?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.