[SOLVED] qtCreator doesn't build my project since I update to Mountain Lion

• Last evening I updated my mac to last MacOs, Mountain Lion, and now I'm trying to build my project, that until last evening worked.

When I try to run it, qtCreator reports this: "Qt Creator needs a tool chain set up to build. Configure a tool chain in Project mode"

I "found this page":https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-26230?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:changehistory-tabpanel here on this forum and I can't understand if my problem is generatetd by this bug, or if I have to setup better the settings.

• Moderators

Do you have compilers installed (AFAIK those come with XCode)?

Maybe it is just the auto-detection of tool chains that fails. You will need to manually set some up in Tools->Options->Build & Run->Tool Chains.

I would appreciate if you could report back which gcc/clangs are installed in mountain lion.

• I have XCode and then i should have all compilers that comes with its.

I have take a screenshot of my setting of "tool chains". !http://s7.postimage.org/4htmdvrij/qt_Creator_Screen.png()!
    As you can see the the auto-detection found a "Maemo GCC" that works, but the qtVersion tab have some problem...
    !http://s7.postimage.org/tp4ie4umj/qt_Creator_Screen1.png()!
    May be this the problem?

• Moderators

Maemo GCC is used to build for Harmattan devices, so that can not be used for Mac binaries. So if you really have XCode installed, then the auto detection of the tool chains needed to build for Mac is failing.

Try searching for binaries starting with g++, gcc or clang and add them as a manual tool chains.

• I'm gonna try! ;)

• Sorry, I'm not very expert... I can't find the path for the g++ compiler in the mac directory...
    Do you know where I can find it?

• I found the problem!
    Updating the Os, the g++ and the gcc command (and all other command came from Xcode) was deleted.
    Now I'm re-installing Xcode suit and then I will test again if qtCreator works.

Fingers crossed!!

• Moderators

G++ might have been removed in favor of clang/clang++, or for g++-4.x or something similar. Sorry, I don't have a mac available here so I can't check.

• In /usr/bin i can't find any file that contain "g++", "clang" or "gcc" in the name.
    I think the problem will be resolved only with re-installing xcode...

I'm download it and in a few minutes i will do it... ;)

• Ok... I failed again...
    I found out the g++ and gcc comand in /Developer/usr/bin/ and i set they as manual in tool chains.
    I set "Compiler path" as /Developer/usr/bin/g++ and "Debugger" as /Developer/usr/bin/g++ too... Is it correct?

• Moderators

No, the debugger is called gdb. It will most likely be in the same directory as g++.

• And then is somethig like this?
    Compiler path: /Developer/usr/bin/g++
    Debugger: /Developer/usr/bin/gdb

right?

• I done it and now qtCreator can find the compiler.

But now I have an other problem... The compiler can't find the "basics" libraries like <iostream> or <string>.

I don't know what i can do...

This is the compile output log:

08:36:40: Running build steps for project CalcolatriceSensibile...
    08:36:40: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
    08:36:40: Starting: "/Developer/usr/bin/make" -w
    make: Entering directory /Users/TresMac/Developing Project/C++/CalcolatriceSensibile-build-desktop-Desktop_Qt_4_7_4_for_GCC__Qt_SDK__Debug' g++ -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -arch x86_64 -Xarch_x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -Wall -W -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I../../../QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I../CalcolatriceSensibile -I../../../QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I../../../QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/include/QtCore -I../../../QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I../../../QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/include/QtGui -I../../../QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/include -I. -I. -I../CalcolatriceSensibile -I. -F/Users/TresMac/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/474/gcc/lib -o mainTest.o ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp In file included from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/point.h:5, from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:2: ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/function.h:4:17: error: string: No such file or directory In file included from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:5: ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/utilities.h:7:18: error: sstream: No such file or directory ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:8:19: error: iostream: No such file or directory In file included from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/point.h:5, from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:2: ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/function.h:16: error: 'string' in namespace 'std' does not name a type In file included from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:2: ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/point.h:19: error: 'string' in namespace 'std' does not name a type In file included from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/line.h:6, from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:3: ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/triangle.h:16: error: 'string' in namespace 'std' does not name a type In file included from ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:5: ../CalcolatriceSensibile/logic/utilities.h:17: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before 'toString' ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:10: error: 'std::cout' has not been declared ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp: In function 'int main()': ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:15: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:16: error: 'class function' has no member named 'getExpression' ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:26: error: 'endl' is not a member of 'std' make: *** [mainTest.o] Error 1 make: Leaving directory/Users/TresMac/Developing Project/C++/CalcolatriceSensibile-build-desktop-Desktop_Qt_4_7_4_for_GCC__Qt_SDK__Debug'
    08:36:40: The process "/Developer/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
    Error while building project CalcolatriceSensibile (target: Desktop)
    When executing build step 'Make'

• DISCLAIMER: use at your own risk and don't blame me if this procedure deletes precious files from your machine etc! :-)

Let me tell you what I did when updating from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion:

1. Uninstalled Qt SDK using the respective option at SDK's updater.

2. Installed the latest XCode from Mac App Store.

3. From XCode, from the menu XCode --> Preferences --> Downloads, I downloaded Command Line Tools.

4. I reinstalled Qt SDK.

• I decided to do what you suggested... but i start from download last version of Xcode and then download the command line tools...

Then I deleted the QtSDK and I'm gonna to re-install it...

• The situation start to be very stressful... -_-
    I reinstalled QtCreator, and now QtCreator can see all the compiler.

But...
    when I open my project and compile it the compiler return me the follow errors...

../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp: In instantiation of 'std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]':
    ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:16: instantiated from here
    ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:16: error: explicit instantiation of 'std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]' but no definition available
    ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp: In instantiation of 'std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]':
    ../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:16: error: explicit instantiation of 'std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]' but no definition available
    make: *** [mainTest.o] Error 1

I can't understand why this error...

• In particular the compiler give this error three times at the same row's code...

/Users/TresMac/Developing Project/C++/CalcolatriceSensibile-build-desktop-Desktop_Qt_4_7_4_for_GCC__Qt_SDK__Debug/../CalcolatriceSensibile/mainTest.cpp:16: error: explicit instantiation of 'std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]' but no definition available

• I found that tis problem come out when i use the operator << with cout on a std:.string variable.

For exemple this code give mi problems:
    @#include<string>
    #include<iostream>
    std::string exemple = "exemple";
    std::cout<<exemple;@

• I have the same operator << problem. Does Anyone know how to solve it?

• Yes!!

I had the same problem with the
    "explicit instantiation of 'std:basic_ostream<..'"

I tried out the flags that Qt used to compile a simple main routine. Seems it works if you say
    -mmacosx-version-min=10.7
    instead of
    -mmacosx-version-min=10.5

There are no sdks for 10.5 or 10.6 on Mountain Lion and XCode 4.4!

Hope that helped.

cheers,

tim

• btw, the entries with

can be found in

$QTDIR/mkspecs/common/g++-macx.conf

cheers again...

• Great! I just found that conf. It works now. Thanks a lot. :)

• Perfect!! Now it works!!
    Thanks a lot!

• Changing the mkspec file to -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 worked for me.

This one was real obscure. Does anyone have reason why this would break std iostream functions? At first I thought it was change in the gcc version with Mountain Lion.

Also, this appears to only effect gcc. Clang doesn't seem to have a problem with min-version is seto to 10.5

• Moderators

Did you guys "file a bug report":http://bugreports.qt-project.org/ ? This needs fixing in Qt.

• This is nice, but on my MacBookPro with ML (and a brand new XCode) I still get an error like

11:09:29: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
    11:09:29: Could not start process "make" -w
    Error while building project ImportMML (target: Desktop)

What do you recommend ? Thanks ? jm

• JMLA, In the latest xcode the command line tools aren't installed by default. Look in Xcode->preferences->downloads. Select "Command Line Tools". Once you do this you may need to re-open QtCreator. But if this is the problem I would have expected Qt to complain earlier about not finding the tool chain.

• Thanks gosuperninja! It probably helps. Nevertheless the error code is now as below
    (I turned back to one of the QT basic drawing examples, that has always been working!)
    I am afraid I might be forced, to continue my work, to go for a while through Parallels... (:-(
    (I have added on Qt Creator/Preferences.../Build & Run/Manual GCC with correct paths)

17:52:58: Running build steps for project basicdrawing...
    17:52:58: Starting: "/usr/bin/make" clean -w
    make: Entering directory /Users/JML/QtSDK/Examples/4.7/painting/basicdrawing' rm -f moc_renderarea.cpp moc_window.cpp rm -f qrc_basicdrawing.cpp rm -f main.o renderarea.o window.o moc_renderarea.o moc_window.o qrc_basicdrawing.o rm -f *~ core *.core make: Leaving directory/Users/JML/QtSDK/Examples/4.7/painting/basicdrawing'
    17:52:58: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited normally.
    17:52:58: Running build steps for project ImportMML...
    17:52:58: Starting: "/usr/bin/make" clean -w
    make: Entering directory /Users/JML/Desktop/Import_MML/ImportMML' rm -f moc_mainwindow.cpp rm -f ui_mainwindow.h rm -f main.o mainwindow.o qtmmlwidget.o moc_mainwindow.o rm -f *~ core *.core make: Leaving directory/Users/JML/Desktop/Import_MML/ImportMML'
    17:52:58: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited normally.
    17:52:58: Running build steps for project basicdrawing...
    17:52:58: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
    17:52:58: Starting: "/usr/bin/make" -w
    make: Entering directory /Users/JML/QtSDK/Examples/4.7/painting/basicdrawing' g++-4.2 -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -arch x86_64 -Xarch_x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 -Wall -W -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/mkspecs/macx-g++42 -I. -I../../../../Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I../../../../Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/include/QtCore -I../../../../Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I../../../../Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/include/QtGui -I../../../../Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/include -I. -F/Users/JML/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/lib -o main.o main.cpp make: g++-4.2: No such file or directory make: *** [main.o] Error 1 make: Leaving directory/Users/JML/QtSDK/Examples/4.7/painting/basicdrawing'
    17:52:58: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
    Error while building project basicdrawing (target: Desktop)

• JMLA, That issue isn't related to Mountain Lion. I had that one a bit ago. It has to do with QtCreator, there was a bug submitted about it. I'm using Qt Creator 4.5, it appears to be fixed. Maybe you're using 4.4? In any case it's a problem with the mkspec file that QtCreator picks, macx-g++42. It should be macx-g++. In the project settings override the spec and it should get past that issue. Hopefully thats your last problem :)

• FYI, I created a bug for the mmacosx-version-min=10.5 issue, https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-26734

• If you still want to compile and target 10.5 you need to install the 10.5 SDK. Alas it is not included with Xcode 4.4. It's a bit hacky, but the following works...

Grab the xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg from the developer.apple.com downloads area, and then:
    @
    open xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg
    cd /Volumes/Xcode\ and\ iOS\ SDK/Packages
    open MacOSX10.5.pkg
    @

Make sure to select the appropriate install directory (i.e. /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer). You can substitute 'open MacOSX10.5.pkg' for 10.5 support.

After installing the old SDK you'll need to add some symlinks:
    @
    cd "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1/"
    ln -s i686-apple-darwin9 i686-apple-darwin11
    ln -s x86_64-apple-darwin9 x86_64-apple-darwin11
    @

This worked for me. A similar hack can be used to get the 10.6 SDK, although you may want to grab that out of a later version of xCode... Best of luck!

Thanks and Enjoy,
    Erik

• Usually you wouldn't need to use the 10.5 SDK to target 10.5, actually that is what the -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 flag is supposed to do: Put the SDK that you use into a mode that is "compatible" with 10.5. I.e. you are supposed to be able to use the 10.7 SDK but still target 10.5 with that flag.

So I wonder why the 10.8 SDK fails in that regard. Probably either a bug, or even more probable Apple just dropped support for developing for 10.5 (which wouldn't surprise me).

• I have just installed Qt Creator in my Mac OS X Mountain Lion. I want to use it with OpenCV 2.4.2, but that is the next step.

I know how to do stuff in Windows, but for some reason I can't get it to work in Mac OS X. At first I got a load of weird errors in the OpenCV files, but now I have limited them to the lines with cout in them.
    I have created a test project with just a std::cout << "test" << std::endl; call in it and it won't compile, saying cout is not a member of std.

I have tried altering the file g++-macx.conf, inserting -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 and *10.8 where it originally said *10.5, but it didn't help.

What I have done:
    I have installed XCode and through XCode I have installed the command line clients. I can find the gcc and g++ compilers in /usr/bin, so I reckon these are in place.

What can I try next? I don't have any other clues now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Well, that was worth a facepalm ... I completely overlooked the fact that I should've used "#include <iostream>" before I can use std::cout.

But ... this still leaves the issues in the opencv includes, in the flann/params.h file to be exact. The exception I'm getting (after just adding "#include <cv.hpp>") are these:

/usr/local/include/opencv2/flann/params.h:87: error: explicit instantiation of 'std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& std::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>&, const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]' but no definition available

This was the reason why I assumed the cout was the problem. Trying that in my own code and having another error made me jump to conclusions a bit too quickly ...

Can anyone help me with this problem for using OpenCV in Qt Creator on Mac OS Mountain Lion?

• @mjepson: OpenCV doesn't use qmake as their build system, so changing Qt mkspecs doesn't change anything for OpenCV. I don't know how one would change the flags with cmake (which OpenCV uses), nor where to do it within OpenCVs build setup. Probably better ask on OpenCV forums/mailing lists.

• Thanks for this great hack! However, it works only for macx-gcc and doesn't solve the problem when compiling with macx-llvm. Is there any hack known to resolve this issue?

Cheeers!

[quote author="garrgravarr" date="1343565804"]btw, the entries with

can be found in

$QTDIR/mkspecs/common/g++-macx.conf

cheers again...
    [/quote]

• you can also use

@unix:-g++: QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -fpermissive@

in your pro file to circumvent the problem

• I was missing the command line tools which by they way can be downloaded from apple website also

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.