A tool to remove unused header files?

• As the title says... is anyone aware of a tool (ideally, as part of Qt Creator) to remove unused header files in a CPP file?

Cheers, Alan.

• Moderators

Qt Creator does not have such a tool integrated.

There is the "iwyu clang extension":https://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/ that is supposed to do it, but so far I had little success with it as its output needs some changing to work well with Qt headers. It only reports headers that it recommends to be added/removed, so you will need to do the editing.

PS: You can use the tasklist plugin of Qt Creator with a bit of scripting to make that editing a bit less painful.

• Ok, I have just had a quick look (https://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/wiki/InstructionsForUsers) and this is still a beta tool and requires quite a few things to get it off the ground (LLVM+Clang). So, it seems to me that I might be wasting more time than anything trying to use it.

• Moderators

I did not find it too hard to test (I tend to have a recent build of clang around;-), but the results were not really useful to me: It suggested to remove all the "QSomeThing" headers and then wanted to have a lot of some/path/qsomething.h" headers added. That caused a lot of noise which made it really hard to find the real changes.

A bit of scripting should help here. Maybe the tool could get fixed to not complain about headers that only include others. I should look into that at some point... if I find the time for some recreational hacking that is:-)

• Actually, in the general case, I think a tool like this should catch such "forward" headers. They are often used as general "always include this header" kind of things in projects, and often contain a lot of stuff you don't really need. However, in Qt's case, most of them are actually useful. It is nice to be able to write
    @
    #include <QString>
    @
    instead of
    @
    #include "QtCore/qstring.h"
    @
    or something like that. However, I think that the tool should suggest to replace
    @
    #include <QtCore>
    @
    with the include for QString only, if that is all you use.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.